Upgrade lead acid battery to Lifepo4. Advice

Widdzuk

T6 Pro
Hi.
I’m wanting to upgrade my battery or at least I’m interested in upgrading it to a Lithium LIFEPO4 if it’s not too much faf

My current setup;

2021 t6.1 150dsg

Sealed 90ah lead acid battery under the front captain seat

- Sterling B2B battery charger. model: bb1230
- Victron SmartSolar mppt 75/15 to 100w solar panel
- My main unit is a Sargent ec155 power unit.

I’ve read some of the in-depth posts regarding lithium and I think I understand some of it, but some things not so much.

I know I need to bypass the Sargent charger as it’s not smart and fit for proper charging. So I need to get a relevant smart charger and use that instead when on EHU.

What I understand is lithium leisure batteries can blow alternators. Will my Sterling b2b charger stop that happening and protect the main battery and alternator?

does my current system allow me literally swap out the lead battery with a lithium one (with built in BMS etc)?

Is there anything else I’d need to add, like low temperature sensor etc?

Any help would be much appreciated. Apologies as I k ow this has being spoken about numerous times. And I have tried to read before posting.

More info here on the lithium and dc-dc charger section.

What I understand is lithium leisure batteries can blow alternators. Will my Sterling b2b charger stop that happening and protect the main battery and alternator?

The Sterling 1230 will work fine but you will need to reprogram it to the LiFePO4 charging profile. The details are all in the Sterling manual.

Back