Upgrade Factory Stereo

Cham13

I would like to upgrade my factory stereo with one that includes Apple Play whilst retaining the steering wheel functionality and the visual reversing sensor display. What after market units will offer this or do you just purchase one and a separate connector kit to make the steering wheel etc...continue to work?

I would like to upgrade my factory stereo with one that includes Apple Play whilst retaining the steering wheel functionality and the visual reversing sensor display. What after market units will offer this or do you just purchase one and a separate connector kit to make the steering wheel etc...continue to work?
You will have to purchase a new interface compatible with which ever head unit you go for. Kenwood seem to be the preferred one, but Pioneer and Alpine will all interface with the steering wheel and MFD. @Absolut5 is the man to speak to.

Kenwood Dmx8019dab With Wireless Apple Carplay/android Auto

Kenwood Dmx 8019 And Dnx9190dabs No1 Choice

My other car (Volvo) has it as standard but I do not see (much) added value and hardly use it. Personally I would not spend money on it.....

Reasons:
Comparing the sound quality of e.g. Spotify through CarPlay with Spotify through the Car’s own built-in app I find the CarPlay version considerably less dynamic.

Navigation through CarPlay is not integrated with the car’s own information (like “navigate to fuel station” when the tank is low etc.) so I prefer the car’s own.
(That system is used anyway to optimize the energy usage from the hybrid battery depending on the route selected and reads the traffic signs and displays these on the screen through HUD).

My other car (Volvo) has it as standard but I do not see (much) added value and hardly use it. Personally I would not spend money on it.....

Reasons:
Comparing the sound quality of e.g. Spotify through CarPlay with Spotify through the Car’s own built-in app I find the CarPlay version considerably less dynamic.

Navigation through CarPlay is not integrated with the car’s own information (like “navigate to fuel station” when the tank is low etc.) so I prefer the car’s own.
(That system is used anyway to optimize the energy usage from the hybrid battery depending on the route selected and reads the traffic signs and displays these on the screen through HUD).

My OEM stereo did not have navigation, and I really like the interface. Plus the map is constantly updated.

I don't have a Volvo. I got the 8019 dabs.

I would endorse @Absolut5 for their skill and expertise. Very happy with my experience with them.

Couldn't agree more.... Have the Kenwood 9190 fitted by them and will be going back for Eton speaker upgrade in a couple of months time... Professional service and you know they'll do the job right...

Drop us a pm or call 01980 624740 and il run through all the options

An alternative to the main stream. Joyingauto.com. Its essentially a 9 inch Android 8.1 (Oreo) tablet with a DSP amp. Supports Apple (wirelessly) and Android car play (wired), communicates with the Can bus on the T6 with the supplied harness. Comes with a huge amount of options like a 4g sim reader but if your using Apple car play they aren't needed.
The dual USB output fits nicely on the dash and i my opinion looks like an OEM unit when its off so shouldnt draw too much attention. There is no Dab Radio but hey who cares I've now got Tunein!
joying3.jpg
This my model which cost around 250 pounds: Joying Newest 9 Inch VW Android 8.1.0 Car Navigation System Stereo Upgrade 4GB+64GB

They have many models that will fit the T5 / T6. I chose this unit because it didn't have Joying logo plastered on the front of the unit. I'm pleased with the quality of the unit and the sound quality is better than the original unit though probably not going to compete with a flagship Alpine unit which some people compare it against, possibly because it looks like a flagship unit once it on - the screen is really beautiful. There is an component amp out and sub output if you want to improve sound quality further. Joying as a company had great customer service and helped me find the right Can bus module, and I would personally avoid cheaper brands from china that are producing units with little quality control.
I also upgraded the speakers with some Eton units and added a subwoofer under the seat total cost 620 pounds.

Back