Unsure of speed limits

Simon FTM

I am due to pick up my 2018 T6 today and it has been professionally fully converted from a TRANSPORTER SHUTTLE 2.0 T32 TDI to a campervan. I have been told that it is down as a Transporter shuttle on the V5 and not down as a campervan. So can you guys tell me what bracket I will be in when it comes to the UK speed limits, Eg will I be able to do 70mph on a duel carriageway or will I be restricted to 60mph.

81968003.jpg

This should help explain.

It’s not my letter but a screen shot from on here somewhere. What your van is classified as has nowt to do with speed limits, it’s what it actually is that matters.

(Mind it looks like classification might matter for future Low Emission Zones )

B336B3CF-9B2A-406A-97F5-0735EEDA8527.png

This should help explain.

It’s not my letter but a screen shot from on here somewhere. What your van is classified as has nowt to do with speed limits, it’s what it actually is that matters.

(Mind it looks like classification might matter for future Low Emission Zones )

View attachment 129729
So the way i read that is if it has the all the fixtures and fittings of a motor home it can be driven to the speed limits of a motor home or am I reading it wrong

Even if it is N1, if it has all of the required internal features, it is a motorcaravan, regardless of V5 body type.

Car speed limits would apply.

Some automatic cameras may ping you, as they use the DVLA info, but that can be challenged and will be overturned.

You can check M1 or N1 on the DVLA vehicle checker. This is never changed.

I'll also add that you will NOT be able to achieve changing the V5, the closest you will get to "motorhome" is "van with windows".

The above are the salient points of some very long threads on here, so no further debate is required.

You need to see the V5, of it says M1 then it’s car speed limits, if it’s N1 then van speed limits. Shuttles are usually M1. I would query if that was a Shuttle pre conversion, I would expect to see a chrome grill and side repeaters plus a light in the sliding door step. It could have been a base Shuttle rather than a Shuttle SE.

Anyway check the V5 and you will find the answer there.
It has a sliding door on both sides if that helps plus originally had 9 seats

81968042.jpg

You need to see the V5, of it says M1 then it’s car speed limits, if it’s N1 then van speed limits. Shuttles are usually M1. I would query if that was a Shuttle pre conversion, I would expect to see a chrome grill and side repeaters plus a light in the sliding door step. It could have been a base Shuttle rather than a Shuttle SE.

Will do cheers

Just checked DVLA vehicle checker and its classed a M1 so no speed restriction so all good. Thanks for your help its much appreciated

Reactions: CAB

NO NO NO

FFS how many times do we have folks posting wrong answers on here. Mods you need to delete the incorrect advice wrongly given here as definitive.
That’s why folks are confused, but it’s really quite straightforward.

03D74EC3-4892-44DA-B34C-E6EF4AB3954B.jpeg

Read the DVLA letter.
V5 Classification has nowt to do with speed limits end of.. full stop…

It’s really quite simple, your speed limit is determined by the final number on your v5 classification multiplied by the final number on your number plate minus the square root of your date of birth*.

*Unless you're late for something, then you can go as fast as you like.

NO NO NO

FFS how many times do we have folks posting wrong answers on here. Mods you need to delete the incorrect advice wrongly given here as definitive.
That’s why folks are confused, but it’s really quite straightforward.

View attachment 129741

Read the DVLA letter.
V5 Classification has nowt to do with speed limits end of.. full stop…

I think the use of FFS is a bit strong but I take your point. I will leave the mods to remove the post.

Apols
:notworthy:

But it does get a little frustrating. Especially when the correct answer shown in the DVLA letter, was already posted earlier in the thread

I’m sure these posts are made with every good intent, it just causes endless confusion, perhaps the mods could post a definitive answer where bods could be referred.

:thumbsup:

Maybe questions that are so infuriatingly recurrent should be mentioned on the new-user registration page?
Half of Pauly's hosting fees are paying for for posts that are repeated ad infinitum and replies that are just wrong!
It seems the V5/speed-limit thing has got completely out of hand, its not a question that is solved in any way
by an opinion, when the facts are readily found with the most trivial search :)
[/sigh]
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:

The V5 can also let you down on ULEZ. I put a “private plate” on the van and promptly “lost” my ULEZ exemption. Luckily I kept a copy of the original V5 - if I get a ULEZ bill, I can challenge it. DVLA didn’t want to know when I contacted them about it - I changed the plate, nothing mechanical!!! Again, this subject is covered to death in other threads

Back