Underslung Water Tank

Thanks. I am not convinced by the two brackets, especially as they are fastened by two screws on each side. I would much prefer to get bolts through, but that is not possible on the one I am currently working on.

I am going to add some additional support once I have got these two sorted.
Here’s mine, barely enough support and tank distorts when full. The rubber pads fitted by converter fell out hence the reason I fitted channel section (not shown) so it’s captive.
It’s a 60L tank.
1613942392180.jpeg

Im thinking about fabricating a tank to replace the spare wheel. So stainless steel. Wonder if 60-70 liters is enough for two people on euro trips. Can't use that tank because mines got a rear diff.

A cordless drill/driver will be enough to drive in your screws. Unfortunately there not strong enough to withstand a impact driver

Thanks. I will give that a go, once I have managed to remove the one now stuck in place.

Im thinking about fabricating a tank to replace the spare wheel. So stainless steel. Wonder if 60-70 liters is enough for two people on euro trips. Can't use that tank because mines got a rear diff.
The two of us travel around Europe one month + at a time and avoid campsites where possible. We have 60L under the van for washing and showers plus 20+5L for drinking stored in the van. We fill up where we can unless we have a firm date in a campsite / aire where we can fill.
Generally it’s about 6 days between fills.
There is no way I would lose the spare wheel for anything, if you think the potholes are bad in the UK there are far worse in mainland Europe.

The two of us travel around Europe one month + at a time and avoid campsites where possible. We have 60L under the van for washing and showers plus 20+5L for drinking stored in the van. We fill up where we can unless we have a firm date in a campsite / aire where we can fill.
Generally it’s about 6 days between fills.
There is no way I would lose the spare wheel for anything, if you think the potholes are bad in the UK there are far worse in mainland Europe.
Well coming from Finland where the ground is solid frozen half the year I know a thing or two about potholes. Mainland europe excluding baltia is smooth like a babies butt compared to Finnish ”roads”. Thats what we get for building roads on ice ages old sea bed :slow rofl:

And the size of my new AT tires dont fit the spare slot under the van, and i cant have different size tires replacing a possible puncture because of the 4motion so my spare wheel space is useless atm.

I finally got round to starting the 70 litre water tank fit. The good news is it fits... phew.
The bad news is that the ‘M6 self drilling TEK screws’ would not self drill! I then tried drilling holes and fitting them. The impact driver took the head clean off... back to the drawing board. Unfortunately the position of the bracket and drilled holes cannot be accessed from both sides otherwise I would use a nut and bolt. First job is to remove the damaged TEK screw.

View attachment 104956

View attachment 104957

Hi - Can I ask where you installed your filler cap? I'm retrofitting the same tank and putting it on the rear left corner next to EHU is going to be difficult considering the cupboards and carpet are in situ. Maybe thinking passenger foot step but wondering if it will be possible to fill the whole tank because top of tank is higher than filler?

Sorry for the lateness of the reply. My van had an existing filler cap on the side so I repurposed that. In the instructions for the tank it recommends the filler is located inside the sliding door, just above the step. Hope this helps.

You can just fit 1 of the skirt tanks from CAK there is also the triangular one that goes in front of spare.
i swapped these round so the triangular tank had the fresh water in and the skirt tank waste, because it was a better water flow for sink waste. i also had a 2nd fresh tank made of about 40l which is slung mid way under van.

For my next conversion i have also bought that one shaped around the spare wheel.
but on another note i am thinking of binning the spare altogether (i cant remember last time i had a flat) will get some tyre plugs, latex sealer and a mini compressor pump. then you have all the spare wheel area for tanks.

Does anyone have any pics of the 40mm filler pipe routing to 69l tank that sits in front of the spare please? Also good to see location of entry/exit of van floor. Cheers

Hi everybody,

I just bought tha 69l underslung tank and am looking for the right pump to use now - can anybody help me with that? I thought about hanging a standard submerged pump into that but am not sure how to fit that and where to lead the hose through it. What would you recommend to do?

Thanks and cheers from Germany,
Paul

Hi everybody,

I just bought tha 69l underslung tank and am looking for the right pump to use now - can anybody help me with that? I thought about hanging a standard submerged pump into that but am not sure how to fit that and where to lead the hose through it. What would you recommend to do?

Paul
We have used this type of pump. It has a built in pressure switch, meaning that pump will only run when you open a water outlet (pressure in the hose drops and the pump starts). When you close the water, pressure in the line increases and pump stops. We dont have this powered always, but it is powered behind a switch so it doesnt hold the pressure in the line always. There are multiple options, we have the 6 liters/ minutes version. There are also different connectors on these pumps, we have the 10mm normal hose connector on the pump but there are threaded connectors also straight to shower hose type of thread.

Hi everybody,

Paul
I’ve responded to your message, hope it helps.

Does anyone have any pics of the 40mm filler pipe routing to 69l tank that sits in front of the spare please? Also good to see location of entry/exit of van floor. Cheers
I have a 12mm filling line for a hose connection, it has a check valve so is mounted below the bumper and enters midway up the tank.
I did have a T piece behind the check valve for gravity feed from a raised hand carried tank but it was too slow.
I have just rigged a Whale GP1002 pump on a short hose to pressure fill using the hose connection under the bumper, works well.
The filler line doesn’t need to be large bore and doesn’t need to be on the top or above the tank if you have a tank with a pressure operated vent valve.

Dear T6 Friends,
thanks for your help. I really appreciate all the helpful information you sent and will post pictures of my solutions once I started building it.

Cheers,
Paul

Hello guys , does anyone have a dirty water tank installed ? I bought a tank and I don't know where to mount it . Do you need to cut something to mount it ? Thanks for the help

zbiornik.jpg

Compared to the photo below, is there a bracket missing from yours?

View attachment 129982

Since the photo was taken I’ve added channel rubber to prevent wear, don’t use simple rubber strips as they will be displaced In a short time.
The centre bracket will distort when the tank is full. Obviously it stays distorted as the tank empties and restores to the original shape. Nothing to worry about IMO.

1631537205385.jpeg

Hi,

I currently have a small internal water tank and I am wanting to fit an underslung tank. I have purchased a shurflo water pump to replace the submersible one. I am now looking at what tank I can fit under the van.

I was going to get the CAK 48 litre one, but then noticed it states that if you have a heater it may not fit... I think I am in this position.

Not the greatest photos, but here is the underside of my van. Any help/ advice

View attachment 83918
I know this post was a year ago, but if you are still looking for a watertank, I designed and had built a 57L stainless steel tank that fits behind the fuel tank on my LWB T5. It is slightly higher than the fuel tank, therefore plenty of road clearance. It wraps around the subframe with internal piping to allow the air pockets to vent, via a solenoid, while the water fills. I fitted a water gauge and external tap incase the water pump fails.
I had it made in stainless steel. It could also be made in aluminium.
To recoup my costs I sell the plans for $50 on the understanding only 1 tank per set of plans are made.

I know this post was a year ago, but if you are still looking for a watertank, I designed and had built a 57L stainless steel tank that fits behind the fuel tank on my LWB T5. It is slightly higher than the fuel tank, therefore plenty of road clearance. It wraps around the subframe with internal piping to allow the air pockets to vent, via a solenoid, while the water fills. I fitted a water gauge and external tap incase the water pump fails.
I had it made in stainless steel. It could also be made in aluminium.
To recoup my costs I sell the plans for $50 on the understanding only 1 tank per set of plans are made.
Sounds good, sad to say that once the drawings are out there they will end up posted on social media.

Back