Underslung Water Tank

Sorry, not great pictures but I took these today.... I measured the tank at 35" x 8" x 9" So may be just under 70 litres...

Looking at other tanks around these dimensions they seem in the 60's... i'm beginning to think its not a CAK tank... I asked the convertor again but he said he looked at that many he couldn't be 100% sure.... but thought it was a CAK.... The tank is winterised so can't see any detail on it...

I will try and get more details and better pictures... :thumbsup:

View attachment 84648
View attachment 84649

Ah, interesting, thanks! That does go approximately where I thought it would when I looked. How far down some it end up hanging though? Looks a few inches below the plastic baffle bit immediately next to it? Although maybe the exhaust, etc, is already coming down below that? Would it be possible to measure the vertical distance between the end of the tank and the black plastic trim bit in the photo?

It's probably the only way I'm going to fit a decent size water tank under our van given the positioning of our existing waste tank and heater.

I will try and take some measurements tomorrow evening.... bear with me... back on 12 hour shifts tomorrow...

@t0mb0 took some measurements... The exhaust sits 10mm lower than the water tank.

The lowest part of the water tank is approximately 40mm below the black plastic cover on the right hand side.

@t0mb0 took some measurements... The exhaust sits 10mm lower than the water tank.

The lowest part of the water tank is approximately 40mm below the black plastic cover on the right hand side.

Ah, thanks very much, that’s really helpful. I’ll go and have a measure myself and check all the various tank sizes.

I have the 70 litre tank arriving on Thursday/ Friday. My Propex 6 litre water heater arrived today (fits in the bottom of my wardrobe) ... and my new mixer tap arrived last week, along with hose and connectors, expansion tank, etc etc.

Fingers crossed the tanks fits. I made a cardboard template and it should... I hope.

I will keep you all posted.

I have the 70 litre tank arriving on Thursday/ Friday. My Propex 6 litre water heater arrived today (fits in the bottom of my wardrobe) ... and my new mixer tap arrived last week, along with hose and connectors, expansion tank, etc etc.

Fingers crossed the tanks fits. I made a cardboard template and it should... I hope.

I will keep you all posted.

Oh cool, pictures would be great as you do the install if you can.

Oh cool, pictures would be great as you do the install if you can.

yes indeed as im on about one of these...propex also stated to me on the phone....you should be ok to have it on whilst driving ..... engine running water heater running off invertor and its happy as good power from leisure that in turn is getting good charge from running alternator.......get to destination...hot water!! :)

Mine is a 300W 6L water heater that runs straight from 12v, obviously takes a bit longer to heat water, but I have a button on my dash and just switch it on half an hour before I get to where I’m going and have piping hot water when I get there.

oooh andys tell me more chief..
Can’t tell you a lot more than that I’m afraid, it was fitted as standard equipment when I bought the van. I think one of the UK converters uses the same one too so they must be available.

Edit : remembered the name, it’s the Hillside Birchover that has the same one

Last edited:

Think this may be it???

I did consider that one at the time of my conversion... my convertor did the maths and it was the equivalent of powering 8 fridges... and with mine being a swb I would of lost internal cupboard space...handy if you can fit it in... but the kettle boils pretty quick...

Reactions: DXX
I have an internal shower so boiling a kettle wouldn’t really work for me. But to make up for it I only fitted 7 fridges :laugh:

I finally got round to starting the 70 litre water tank fit. The good news is it fits... phew.
The bad news is that the ‘M6 self drilling TEK screws’ would not self drill! I then tried drilling holes and fitting them. The impact driver took the head clean off... back to the drawing board. Unfortunately the position of the bracket and drilled holes cannot be accessed from both sides otherwise I would use a nut and bolt. First job is to remove the damaged TEK screw.

067C356C-4826-4BE9-BC4C-C6FDB94FA032.jpeg

DEF03A86-B60F-4D61-A14C-92C8075A29B9.jpeg

I have a similar tank, possibly even the same. Make sure you support it well, more than you might think is required.
When you have 70Kg plus weight of tank bouncing over rough surfaces it can bend the brackets.
I have put channel section rubber on the brackets to prevent chafing.

Thanks. I am not convinced by the two brackets, especially as they are fastened by two screws on each side. I would much prefer to get bolts through, but that is not possible on the one I am currently working on.

I am going to add some additional support once I have got these two sorted.

Back