Underslung Gas Tank - Ferries

peterkelly786

Hi - I've just bought a new VW Camper with an underslung LPG tank. The dealer said that I should never need to turn off the LPG tank, at the tank itself, since the 'Gastore' button in the van isolates the gas tank. Just wondering if anyone has had issues when boarding a ferry, that turning off the internal 'Gastore' button wasn't enough. Just don't want to get caught out boarding a ferry as I wouldn't know where to go looking for the physical tap under the van. Thanks

I don’t think there is an issue with ferry travel. Certainly I haven’t noticed the question when I have travelled on them. I know the Chunnel has an issue with LPG but even then it may be only for LPG powered cars as opposed to a small tank for your hob etc.

I have an LPG sticker on my van, and no one passed comment when boarding ferries either.

Best ask the ferry company in question if you don‘t want to risk being turned away.
From an engineering point of view it just makes good sense to have an isolation valve at the cylinder outlet especially with a flammable gas.
Who carried out the conversion?

I asked our converters this specic question and this was their email response, Propex are the company who manufacture / installed our underslung tank etc

I have just spoke to the technical department at Propex and they assure me that by turning off the supply at the digital panel inside your van completely isolates the system and meets the requirements of the channel tunnel.

I hope this helps

the button on the control panel isolates the solenoid on the tank. i turn it off then burn off any residual gas in the pipes. all gas is then held only in the tank

I asked our converters this specic question and this was their email response, Propex are the company who manufacture / installed our underslung tank etc

I have just spoke to the technical department at Propex and they assure me that by turning off the supply at the digital panel inside your van completely isolates the system and meets the requirements of the channel tunnel.

I hope this helps
Great, many thanks for this valuable info.

Back