Undercarriage Cracks?

Discussion in 'New T6 Forum Members Area' started by Bentley T6, 10 Nov 2019.

1. Bentley T6

Bentley T6 New Member

Hi everyone, I joined back in August and my plan was to get a T6 and get converting over winter. I have now found a van and will be collecting in 2 weeks. One thing I noticed when I went to view was some cracks to the underside. Can anyone tell me if this is something to be concerned about? Is it a case of poor jacking positioning or a weak plastic undercarriage protection (seen this in a t4 forum)? It looks like it’s under the fuel tank and all along the left hand side. I didn’t spot it while there, only when reviewing my video later.

Any suggestions or advice welcome. Thanks in advance,

84234B85-71BD-4268-B5B3-3B67BB155DA7.jpeg

2. Pete C

Pete C T30 102bhp converted to camper VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    That doesn’t look good, even if it is “just” plastic.
    I would need to compare your picture with the underside of my T6 to work out what exactly is cracked.
    Got any more pictures or footage ?

Pete

Bentley T6 likes this.
  3. Bentley T6

Bentley T6 New Member

Hi Pete,
    No, I took a video under the van assessing the suspension etc. Didn’t spot it until I had driven 3hrs home and was looking over video... will see if I can pause it any better....

thanks,

4. Pete C

Map
    Ok. I should be fitting our winter tyres tomorrow, so will have a look under ours to try and work out what is cracked on yours.

Pete

Bentley T6 likes this.
  5. Bentley T6

Bentley T6 New Member

Hi Pete,

can’t seem to upload video as it might be too big, but have screen grabbed a few shots of the cracks. Van is a LWB and the cracks seem to be just in front of the rear wheels on each side.... wish I had spotted it there and could have asked while it was on ramps... it’s on both sides which makes me think it may be poor lifting / jacking but want to be sure before I take delivery....

thanks for looking Pete, hope to contribute a lot more when I get going with my conversion.

Andy

B4557CD9-58B4-4569-960D-EF4B815B2A91.jpeg

2B5254AD-AFB2-4ECC-A30C-0A80F61B4F90.jpeg

6. Ed Webb

Ed Webb Webber VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    These underbody protection panels go really brittle. Mine shattered in that area when making alterations to allow for sidebars.
    Mine has since completely vanished when hitting a deep puddle a tad too hard.
    It's a common issue however if I was you I'd personally like to check for damage under that panel when collecting.

7. Pete C

Map
    Had a look on my SWB, and it's almost certainly the plastic protection panels. I would want to understand why they are cracked like that.
    How many miles has it done, and has it had any mods underneath ?

Pete

Bentley T6 likes this.
  8. Bentley T6

Bentley T6 New Member

Hi Pete,

thank you so much for taking a look. Van is a 67 plate with 27k on the clock. No obvious mods as it’s still a LWB kombi. Only things I know, suspension springs changed by Leighton Vans and it has the side running bars but wouldn’t expect to see cracks there from these.

I have highlighted to the dealer who has said he will look and will let you know an update (hopefully before delivery date).
    Really appreciate you taking a look though.
    Thanks again,

Andy

Tags: