Under seat Dimensions

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Does anyone know the measurements of the drivers and passenger seat bases?

I have found posts on this forum which say what battery/kit they've fitted but can't find the actual dimensions published anywhere.

I have a 4 motion panel van on order with two single seats with factory swivels and I would like to mount a load of electrical kit for various reasons.

The battery which I am hoping to fit under one seat measures 172mmW x 328mmL x 215mmH (Toi top of terminals).

The total kit to lose under the seats is as follows:
DC-DC charger,
Victron Smart Shunt
Couple of Busbars
Victron 100/20 MPPT controller.
1 x Midi fuse holder
1 x Maxi fuse holder.

If anyone knows these dimensions I'd be massively grateful.

I did a scale cad drawing, i can't swear to it's accuracy, and there's no marked dimensions on it. It looks like this;

1604875835355.png

If you think it's useful, I can send the autocad or dxf file, or I can put a few dimensions in and make a pdf.

Let me know.

I did a scale cad drawing, i can't swear to it's accuracy, and there's no marked dimensions on it. It looks like this;

View attachment 91223

If you think it's useful, I can send the autocad or dxf file, or I can put a few dimensions in and make a pdf.

Let me know.
That would be amazing if I could get the dxf.

You are a superstar. Thank you.
I wondered how much of the below kit i could fit under the seats:
Planned_Schem.PNG

It seems that a bit of shuffling will see this lot will fit with room to spare:
To scale.PNG

Thanks so much this has helped a great deal.

I don't think you can get the DC/DC charger there, the rear of the base has a (15mm?) return there. Realistically I wouldn't plan to fit anything to the rear of the shunt in your LH sketch, unless it fits inside of the return.
Same story for the MPPT/200A breaker/230V breaker.

Also remember that you have to either;
Access the 4 mounting nuts with all the kit fitted
OR
Fit some of the kit after you fix the mounting nuts

Some space that's usable, and you haven't used it is under the front of the housing (under your 250A maxi fuse), where there is a huge hole in the sloping face. In my photo above the (black) renogy DCC50S hangs though this gap, and it's still quite well protected.

Looking at this I think its okay if I move the stuff that I originally mounted on the rear of the base to the front and have a shuffle to make things fit. After your comment I had a Google and I see that the rear of the seat bases seem to be open like the one below?
s-l640.jpg

You can never tell with Googling things as there are so many weird and wonderful things out there, but your comment about the return makes sense if this picture is of a standard T6 seat base.

If it is it is obviously impossible to mount anything to the rear and I guess I will need a removable panel to conceal things?......... If so, this is a good thing as it will be possible to reset the breakers if required through the access in the back of the seat base!

I really am grateful for your help on this as this van thing is all very new! .................. Pretty handy with boats, but not so with things with wheels! ;)

The pic you posted looks just like my drivers base, I think they all look like that.
Yes I made 15mm ply panels to go over the back, on the passenger side this panel has a 240v and a 12v socket, and on the driver side it has my diesel heater outlet

I’ve fitted everything in your list under my drivers seat with a standard AGM battery, but upgrading from a Ctek to a Victron Orion DC-DC charger and changing the battery to lithium has meant moving the Orion to the passenger seat.

I’m glad I posted this as I didn’t realise that the front and back of the seat were “open”. This has changed my plans somewhat!
What size lithium did you fit Andy?
I’m thinking I can get a 355L x 176W x 189H 110AH battery, which I think will help with the fit. Did you fit a front panel to mount kit on, or is it suspended from the top? (Hope that doesn’t sound like a stupid question.... complete newbee here!)

Last edited:
My lithium isn’t in yet, it’s the Valence XP as found in some big threads on here. The problem is that it’s too tall to fit under the seat standing up, so has to go on its side, which leaves less room spare. That and the Victron dc-dc charger being much bigger than the Ctek. My Ctek and MPPT are mounted to a horizontal aluminium panel on the floor and all the rest are mounted vertically at the front or side on small brackets screwed into the seat base frame.
Behind the battery in the open section behind the rear panel, I have a fused lead on Anderson connectors for plugging in a compressor for bike tyres too.

Back