Uhhh ohhh, whirring/whining noise when steering at low speeds

Cuiken

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I bought my T6 Kombi last week (privately) and noticed it made a low whirring sound that varied with engine speed when low speed manoeuvring. It was pretty quiet though and I was probably too excited so didn't somehow think to mention it at the time.

I notice it again today and realised it only occurs when the steering is at lock or being turned fast.

The power steering fluid is at its lowest level on the dip stick but not below spec.

I'm immediately thinking it's probably the power steering pump?

What do people think? And, how much is this going to cost me? :(

Last edited:
I bought my T6 Kombi last week (privately) and noticed it made a low whirring sound that varied with engine speed when low speed manoeuvring. It was pretty quiet though and I was probably too excited so didn't somehow think to mention it at the time.

I notice it again today and realised it only occurs when the steering is at lock or being turned fast.

The power steering fluid is at its lowest level on the dip stick but not below spec.

I'm immediately thinking it's probably the power steering pump?

What do people think? And, how much is this going to cost me? :(
I'd have a good look underneath for fluid leaks at either end of the rack and at all of the hydraulic pipes.
I'd probably top the fluid up to the maximum level too and monitor it closely.
Your instinct that the power steering pump is on the way out may be correct but don't rule out a problem with the rack that is causing the pump to overwork.
Wide tyres don't help and "dry steering" should be avoided (that's turning the steering wheel while the vehicle is stationary) because that exerts maximum strain on your steering components.
There are various different pumps for T6's, it depends on the model / year /engine variant, personally I'd hope it's the pump as that's an easier job than changing the rack.

I'd have a good look underneath for fluid leaks at either end of the rack and at all of the hydraulic pipes.
I'd probably top the fluid up to the maximum level too and monitor it closely.
Your instinct that the power steering pump is on the way out may be correct but don't rule out a problem with the rack that is causing the pump to overwork.
Wide tyres don't help and "dry steering" should be avoided (that's turning the steering wheel while the vehicle is stationary) because that exerts maximum strain on your steering components.
There are various different pumps for T6's, it depends on the model / year /engine variant, personally I'd hope it's the pump as that's an easier job than changing the rack.

Thanks. As you say, better the pump than the rack. I'm guessing it has to be one or the other as the 'whining' wouldn't occur otherwise?

Bit annoying as the van is only 3 years old with ~40k miles. Also, running stock 215/60/17 wheels and tyres so no obvious source of stress on the system.

I'll need to get it up on some ramps and take a look underneath at the weekend....

Ohhh, and yes, I'll get some PSF and fill the reservoir up tomorrow.

Give the gators a squeeze at each end of the rack, there should not be any fluid in them.

Good tip, thanks.

Assuming something is going to need replaced, is there a tool to help figure out pay numbers?

Cheers.

Good tip, thanks.

Assuming something is going to need replaced, is there a tool to help figure out pay numbers?

Cheers.
I think the best thing is to try to identify the cause of the noise first, then think numbers.
A power steering pump could be anything from £110 to £350 without any labour cost, it is a DIY job if you are a confident / competent DIYer, the rack will be more and not so easily done on a DIY basis.

Good tip, thanks.

Cheers.

Phone auto-correct. I meant part numbers :)

When I was driving my old Golf I was able to get exploded diagrams and part numbers online. Any such resource for the T6?

Thanks.

Okay, managed to get under the van this evening. No obvious signs of oil around the rack gators or where the steering column meets the rack.

So, I'm going this is a good sign regards the rack being healthy. Further to that, the steering is light, smooth and consistent from lock through to lock.

I topped up the power steering fluid and it really required very little to get back to the normal level.

I also noticed that the noise only occurs once the engine has been running for a while (warm).

So, I'm almost wondering if this could be the belt tensioner? Basically the added load on the belt when steering causes the tensioner to 'complain'. Probably wishful thinking but I'll see what the local VW van center have to say when I pick up my roof rails tomorrow.

Well, I picked up the roof rails today and a mechanic was available to pop out and have a listen.

I revved the engine gently and turned the steering. Low level whirring noise occurred.

After a minute he popped round, asked me to turn off the engine and said:

'Yeah, what you have there mate is a van' :)

Apparently I should not expect Skoda Superb levels of sound dampening....

Back