Underrated Tyres On T32 (fitted by dealer)

Pete.UK

Hi all, appreciate some advise. I've owned by T6 T32 for about a year and bought it from a main dealer at about 18months old and it had its service today (not by VW). They told me that 2 of the tyres were load rated as 96 and not 104 as the fronts are. Apparently these are car tyres, not suitable for a van. The van has been in numerous times to be looked at due to the noise of the tyres and they basically said its normal.

Very annoyingly, i never checked the load rating, its only recently that i've realized how much of an impact this can make when looking at new wheels.

What would you do, should i contact the dealer and ask why they sold it with these tyres on? are they allowed to do this? I understand this could have voided my insurance?

It won't have "voided" your insurance, but if it were inspected post collision then yes, they may have used their findings to either a. reject your claim altogether, or b. offer a reduced sum. Your only recourse would have been the Ombudsman or a civil claim.

IMO you have no chance of proving on the basis of probability that the dealer was aware of their fitment, they may even deny it saying that they have worked on the vehicle and it was not wearing car tyres whilst they looked at it.

Go to said dealer and get them to replace the incorrect tyres and nothing more shall be said.. if they do not agree then speak to the ombudsman for guidance.

Defo worth a phone call at least, raise your issues and see what they say

I’d go absolutely ballistic, imagine loading up your van on a camping trip with your family onboard and then having a blowout due to incorrect tyre loadings? :mad:

Really doesn’t bear thinking about.

96 rated tyres are well below the correct spec, kick up a fuss.

A well known, Poole based, bunch of cowboy converters put 102 tyres on my T32. They tried all kinds of excuses about 102’s being ok, until I spoke to the tyre manufacturer who told me in no uncertain terms that their tyres were not ok on a T32.

A T32 only requires a 103 rated tyre.
100 rating = 800kg load.
Each additional 1 on the rating = 25kg
Therefore 3 = 75kg.
103 is 875kg. A T32 requires a maximum wheel load of 860kg.
Didn’t know that, mine was delivered with 107/109 fitted, so I assumed that they were the spec. Every day’s a skool day.

I'd be hitting up the dealer, they should make it right.

If not, I'd just change them on my own and try and get the money back through other means.

As i rather be able to use my van than knowing i'm running on those 96 load rated car tyres.

Thanks everyone, I've contacted them and I'll see what they say, cant say i'll buy from a VW dealer again, the experience has been awful :(

Got a pic of your front and rear tyres?

Those aren't dealer fitted tyres....surely.

Was the van a part-ex back to them?, , , , , what was the story.

But either way, they should have picked that up on the 200 point (or whatever) pre sale inspection....

Maybe they checked the tred depth, but missed the load rating.

Yeah it was about 18 months old when i had it, what annoys me is that they've had it in their workshop to look at tyre noise and never noticed it...

And like you say, this 200 point check, you would expect a main dealer to pick up on it.

Back