Tyre - Wheel - Height Advice.

Neil Harbidge

Hi Guys. I've enjoyed viewing the forum but this is my first post.
I'm hoping for advice re the tyres , wheels and height for my T6 204 DSG Kombi.
My VW dealer fitted 30mm lowering springs and 20" wheels with 245/45 M&S tyres. (I saw a vehicle that they were about to deliver with this set up and I like the look).
I've been a tad disappointed with the ride quality as its quite harsh and crashy on my local roads, although its great on the motorway.
I am travelling to France and Spain at some point in the winter and will need to be able to fit snow chains. The problem is that the chains that I've ordered for the tyres catch on the internal wheel arch.
So If I'm going to have to change the set up, I would like to fit wheels/ tyres that could possibly improve the ride quality. I do have the original coil springs and would consider a lift. I have gone full circle and do quite like to off road look tyres. Also I do really need to be able to get out of my drive when it snows.
Sorry for the long post. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Hi Guys. I've enjoyed viewing the forum but this is my first post.
I'm hoping for advice re the tyres , wheels and height for my T6 204 DSG Kombi.
My VW dealer fitted 30mm lowering springs and 20" wheels with 245/45 M&S tyres. (I saw a vehicle that they were about to deliver with this set up and I like the look).
I've been a tad disappointed with the ride quality as its quite harsh and crashy on my local roads, although its great on the motorway.
I am travelling to France and Spain at some point in the winter and will need to be able to fit snow chains. The problem is that the chains that I've ordered for the tyres catch on the internal wheel arch.
So If I'm going to have to change the set up, I would like to fit wheels/ tyres that could possibly improve the ride quality. I do have the original coil springs and would consider a lift. I have gone full circle and do quite like to off road look tyres. Also I do really need to be able to get out of my drive when it snows.
Sorry for the long post. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Really simple cheapish fix here. Buy a set of standard 18" Amarok Steels, and fit a set of winter tyres. I used winter tyres all last year and through some pretty extreme snowy conditions, and they never let me down.
Why Amarok steels? Because they are cheap to buy, look very cool, hold their value and best of all, you can just swap them back for your 20s in the Summer and put the Amaroks away for next year, or sell them on here and get back most of your money.
No need to change your springs, and should be far more comfortable, although the crashy characteristic is normal with lowering springs unfortunately.

Thanks for this. I forgot to mention that my van is a T32. Will the Amarok steel wheels be ok weight wise? Should I go back to the standard springs?

I’ve just fitted amaroks. Tamar are really easy to deal with and deliver fast! I’ve gone for 235/50R18 101 weight rating all season tyres. You’ll need 55 series to get the correct load rating for a T32.

When I went to order Tamar were out of stock and it was 10 days till they were available.

Ian

Back