Tyre wear on 18inch lowered van

The_mose

Hi,

I have a t28 t6.1 highline 150dsg and I've just checked tyres at 9300 miles and all 4 are worn to the point that they all need replacing. One (rear off) is at legal limit so need to change ASAP.

I'm currently running the bridgestone weather control a005 245/45/18 100y

Any ideas as to what would cause this amount of wear?

And recommendations for replacement?

I've got wolfrace x10x 18" 8.5j rims.

Most driving is on A roads.

(I originally had 255/55 crossclimate but they rubbed on the inner arch)

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Last edited:
You don't mention how Low you are and if you had a hunter alignment after lowering your van. Tbf if I get 9K out of my tyres I'll be happy :)

Thanks dErz- it was dropped by 40mm and I've no idea what a hunter alignment is but will be checking with the convertor on Monday!

Is the wear consistent across the width of the tyres, or is it worse in one area ?

Pete

Thanks dErz- it was dropped by 40mm and I've no idea what a hunter alignment is but will be checking with the convertor on Monday!
@The_mose is it possible for you to put up a side on picture of your van?

It must be lower than -40mm if you’re getting rubbing from the tyres?

@The_mose is it possible for you to put up a side on picture of your van?

It must be lower than -40mm if you’re getting rubbing from the tyres?
The rub was on full lock - very slight. Was going to use a heat gun but decided to reduce tyre size instead.

Will put a picture up in the morning.

Just tuned in to this thread as both my front tyres need replacing at just 3,500 miles. I’m shocked - is this seriously normal?
Running Bridgestone weather control 255/45R18. Van lowered by 50mm. Mix of m/way and A/B road driving.

Have you had yours hunter aligned? I've done 7k on my 100mm drop Solows and still going strong.

I got poor wear rate on the Bridgestones too and chunks started coming off the tread. I was lowered and hadn’t had the geo reset.

Now on Uniroyal Rainsports and the geo has been done and hardly worn at all.

Might have been the geo that affected the bridgestones but I’ve lost faith in them so won’t be having them again.

I was shocked at how quick I went through my first set of tyres. I put it down to the brand/model of tyre (nexus). I was also stocked that all 4 tyres wore at the same time, front and back and equal across the tyres width. Got about 13k out of them I think. Spent a bit more this time and now they are wearing in the middle (equal front and back again) as if they are overpressure but running at 37 all round.

If the rears are wearing in the inside you should probably get a hunter alignment done but need to correct for the camber (this is probably why mine are wearing equally front and back even with alignment done)

I got poor wear rate on the Bridgestones too and chunks started coming off the tread. I was lowered and hadn’t had the geo reset.

Now on Uniroyal Rainsports and the geo has been done and hardly worn at all.

Might have been the geo that affected the bridgestones but I’ve lost faith in them so won’t be having them again.
Thanks for the info, very helpful. I’m going to change brand too and see how that goes.

If you get alignment done make sure you tell them to set the machine to no load. On a lowered van it usually assumes it has load in it so set the geo as if the load will be taken out at somepoint.

If you get alignment done make sure you tell them to set the machine to no load. On a lowered van it usually assumes it has load in it so set the geo as if the load will be taken out at somepoint.
Ok will do, thank you. Is there a tyre you’d recommend? All of a sudden how long they last has become an important quality!

Back