Tyre speed rating for 204 4motion t32

Bigsidavies

Retired
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
My original Devonports are shod with 215/60/r17 c tyres.
My 20’s that are currently on the van have 275/40/20 106y

I’m replacing the fronts this week and due to the staggered width and the front being 8.5j I’m going to fit 245/45/20 (identical rolling radius)

Question is do they need to be 103y or can I use 103w? There’s a greater choice of premium tyres in the 103w.

I have searched the forum and google and not really got very far.

103W is fine up to168MPH, should be enough for popping to the shops.

I am sure you need a 106y rating for a T32, so hold fire until you know for definite.
No, 103 load rating is OK for a T32.

Page 1 of this very good general tyres / wheels thread:

Page 1 of this very good general tyres / wheels thread:
Yeah I’d read all that and I’m good with the load ratings and I’m happy that 103 is suitable for T32. Just don’t want it to fail it’s Mot next week if I put 103w tyres on it.
With cars I’ve had in the past it’s been that you have to fit what the manufacturer fits, so if they fit zr you stick with zr even though it’s way above the cars performance. But with the van there’s no factory standard to go with.

There’s no factory standard to compare

Yeah I’d read all that and I’m good with the load ratings and I’m happy that 103 is suitable for T32. Just don’t want it to fail it’s Mot next week if I put 103w tyres on it.
With cars I’ve had in the past it’s been that you have to fit what the manufacturer fits, so if they fit zr you stick with zr even though it’s way above the cars performance. But with the van there’s no factory standard to go with.

There’s no factory standard to compare
As 103W is compliant with both speed and load ratings for the particular vehicle it can't fail the MOT (on tyres) if the tyres are in satisfactory condition, which of course they will be.

As 103W is compliant with both speed and load ratings for the particular vehicle it can't fail the MOT (on tyres) if the tyres are in satisfactory condition, which of course they will be.
Thanks for that.

Back