Tyre pressures 255/35/20

Scott

What pressure do you recommend for a T 28 camper with 20 " wheels with 255/35/20 tyres ... Cheers

What is the load rating of your tyre?
The closer your axel weight gets to the load rating of the tyre, the more pressure you need.
Often the markings on the side of the tyre, mention max load at max pressure.

But so long as that is OK, I would have thought 42psi ish would be a good starting point

What is the load rating of your tyre?
The closer your axel weight gets to the load rating of the tyre, the more pressure you need.
Often the markings on the side of the tyre, mention max load at max pressure.

But so long as that is OK, I would have thought 42psi ish would be a good starting point
It's a 97w I think

Have you ever been on a weigh bridge in fully loaded trim, so see what your actual weights are? I would have thought a T28 is probably getting close to its max axel weight, especially on the rear axel, so your tyres are probably at their maximum load, or even over.
Just be careful; and run your tyres at a higher pressure, probably over 50psi, check the side walls for info.
The mode for most tyre failure which is not ware or damage related is overheating.
As i understand it, If a tyre is run with too much load; too fast; to too lowly inflated, or a combination; the heat builds up quickly in the tyre and boooooooom!!!!!!!! failure. A bit dramatic but worth thinking about.
I have done it with a caravan on more than one occasion, good tyres, just overloaded.

Have you ever been on a weigh bridge in fully loaded trim, so see what your actual weights are? I would have thought a T28 is probably getting close to its max axel weight, especially on the rear axel, so your tyres are probably at their maximum load, or even over.
Just be careful; and run your tyres at a higher pressure, probably over 50psi, check the side walls for info.
The mode for most tyre failure which is not ware or damage related is overheating.
As i understand it, If a tyre is run with too much load; too fast; to too lowly inflated, or a combination; the heat builds up quickly in the tyre and boooooooom!!!!!!!! failure. A bit dramatic but worth thinking about.
I have done it with a caravan on more than one occasion, good tyres, just overloaded.
Should be 99 for a T28 according to Tamar Wheels.
I'll check tomorrow cheers

I have bog standard 16" wheels and tyres as supplied. Just checked the pressure and all 4 only had 40psi which is well below the minimum (58 front, 51 rear) for my tyres - is it normal for vans to come out of the factory with pressures so far below the recommended? I've pumped them up to 60 all round on account of the fact that I'm am running pretty much fully laden for a lot of the time - sound about right??

Also, I can't find an exact match for my tyre on the door pillar sticker, i.e. sticker for 105/65 R16C is followed by 103/101T whereas mine has 107/105T - I think this is the load rating and means my tyres are higher load rated than shown on the sticker?? I'm now wondering if the tyres supplied don't match the sticker is it possible if the vehicle was correctly build as a T30?? Does anyone have a T30 (or a T28) panel van that can check their door stickers for me and see how it compares to the tyres fitted ??

(Ignore the state of my wheels in the photos below - cleaning the van is my next job when it stops raining!! lol)

Thanks,

Dave.

IMG_1607.jpg IMG_1609.jpg IMG_1610.jpg

Thanks - still interested if someone has a T30 to see if they have the same door pillar sticker as well.

Thanks. So your speed rating doesn't match anything on the sticker either then. Also you have the 215 wheels - on the more recent specs you only get 215, on the 17", as standard with the T32 - guessing it must be a Euro 6 thing?

It would appear that you have much more knowledge of my tires than I do, I was aware they were black and round but that was about it.

We recommend running 275/35 20's at 40 psi all round. I run this on mine, even with heavy loads and towing with no uneven tyre wear

We recommend running 275/35 20's at 40 psi all round. I run this on mine, even with heavy loads and towing with no uneven tyre wear
Any idea about the standard 205/65 16"? I have gone to recommended but 60psi just seems a ridiculously high pressure??

Any idea about the standard 205/65 16"? I have gone to recommended but 60psi just seems a ridiculously high pressure??
I guess you are very close to the tyres maximum load. Most tyres have to be run at maximum pressure to achieve maximum load. The down side is that everything about a tyre is worse at that kind of pressure.(other than economy) I am carrying a similar load to you on 235/60/17 and running safely at around 40psi. I would strongly recommend changing to 17" wheels and tyres (235mm wide) when you can. There are loads of Devonport vw t6 wheels and tyres around (brand new-delivery miles) for around £600, which is an absolute bargin. It also relates to the tyre pressure = the ground pressure which equates to the load you are carrying; so narrower tyres need greater pressure

Last edited:
The tyre pressures are on a sticker on the drivers B pillar. Im not in a T6 this weekend so cant check.

The tyre pressures are on a sticker on the drivers B pillar. Im not in a T6 this weekend so cant check.
Tyres are at pressure recommended on sticker - just feels wrong - after pumping up and wanting to double check I dug my old faithful gauge out but found it only went upto 50psi.

Back