Tyre Loading - 109 rating

Markymark

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I just need to check before I press the button on new tyres.

I have the following on there at the moment:

215/60 R17 109/107T

I want to put on Michelin Agilis CrossClimate but no one seems to have them in the 109 load rating. Michelin won’t have any in the country till late September.

The van is a T32 Kombi converted to a campervan. The load rating plate under the bonnet reads:

1. 1710kg
2. 1720kg

By my reckoning I can get away with 104 loading at 900kg/tyre.

However one of the sites I looked at stated that you can only put tyres of the same or higher than the original fitted ones. Not sure that is true knowing that VW probably stick on what they’ve got in stock as long as it is high enough.

I’ve got plenty of tread on the existing ones but want to change them before our next trip in Sept.

So my questions are as follow:

Am I right in saying I can put 104s on?

Is it worth waiting for 109/107s?

Are they going to be more resistant than 104s when off-road?

Ta Mark

There is a 235/60/17 Mich Agilis CC available; slightly larger tyre, but for a much better fit in the wheel arches.
The only down side is the load capacity is very high, so it may be a tad hard riding; but they may not matter.
We've got these tyres on 2 of our vans, and they are superb.
In terms of off road resistance, I'm guessing that the side wall rubber is a little thicker on a higher load capacity tyre, so therefore maybe slightly more rubber to cut through if you suffer sidewall damage to your tyre. The tyre below will give you 12mm more ground clearance, which is useful. There are plenty of people on this forum who run a slightly over sized like this. I certainly do, and wouldn't go back to stock size.
You may find this tyre below cheaper, I just listed the first thing that came up on google.
I have have seriously considered this tyre for our T6 Vel; but I'm swapping from 17" to 18" wheels so I've had to rule it out for now.
Tyre Michelin 235/60 R17C 117/115R 8PR, 3PMSF | Agilis Crossclimate | TyreLeader.co.uk

Excellent thanks. Down to 7 now!
Please let us all know how you get on with them,
Maybe, After a few hundred miles; After a few thousand miles; After 20k miles etc . Look forward to the reviews :thumbsup:

I think these could be the perfect T6 tyre (after my beloved Nokian weatherproofs SUV:whistle: ;)), just needs a few more sizes available.

I'm so tempted by the 235/60/17........, but I've just sent my 18" to by re-coloured.

Hi there mate I got mine from Costco as I have t32 got them on a deal. But now full price is 133.00 per tyre fitted with the v.a.t..but I replaced the 4 + the spare at the time all five were under 500 pounds so I was pleased

Back