102PS with 2 Turbo Failures - was re-map to blame?

No, it just seems that the 102 is more susceptible to turbo problems than other models, from what I've read on here, and I guess a lot of 102's get mapped too.
Youre not wrong. Especially CAAB engines (like mine) the "friday car" of the T6 range - early doors vans where VW were still getting rid of T5.1 engines - even the layout is the same as the T5 and T5.1 - component positioning, oil filter, fuel filter inlets/outlets. Id speculate that most with 102 bhp engines want a bit more bite, their rationale being they want more power like the bigger horse vehicles, but mines 102 and i wont be getting a remap - in my humble and worthless opinion, remapping a transporter is absolutely ridiculous. Ultimately its a commercial vehicle designed for running thousands of miles delivering stuff and carrying tools - not hammering it about leaving fire trails everywhere. :think smile bounce:

Quoted from your initial post....
They are also saying their warranty is void due to the re-mapping. They even sneakily put this on the invoice as I was settling up without mentioning it -

A very long shot but would the garage have CCTV of the counter area being recorded? And If they do how long with they likely keep the recording? If you could prove they were writing that clause as you were paying the billI don’t think he would have a leg to stand on. I know its a long shot but good luck.
Dude that is some next level C.I.A surveillance suggestion you made there! I salute you! I haven't come up with an idea that detailed and far out since I smoked a spliff about 25 years ago and had to think of a way to convince my dearly departed Mother that my eyes were bloodshot because id been running........ I dont think she knew id smoked weed, but I'm pretty sure she worked out that goodnight handshakes are not normal.

I’m going to add to this.. a couple of weeks ago I had turbo failure.

Peddle to the metal as soon as I let my foot of the accelerator BANG. 19 plate 34k on the clock. Revo map installed last year. The van has always had a whistle with the turbo but the map made the whistle more prominent (cool sounding :rolleyes:). After a year it finally gave up. I did notice over the last month a flat spot at around 2k revs and it felt sluggish.

Was the map to blame? Was it a weak turbo and the map accelerated the failure and it go later on without a map? Who knows. I’ve heard all the comments “just buy the faster one” blah blah

All fixed and running like a dream now. Thanks for all your help.. you know who you are ;)

I’m going to add to this.. a couple of weeks ago I had turbo failure.

Peddle to the metal as soon as I let my foot of the accelerator BANG. 19 plate 34k on the clock. Revo map installed last year. The van has always had a whistle with the turbo but the map made the whistle more prominent (cool sounding :rolleyes:). After a year it finally gave up. I did notice over the last month a flat spot at around 2k revs and it felt sluggish.

Was the map to blame? Was it a weak turbo and the map accelerated the failure and it go later on without a map? Who knows. I’ve heard all the comments “just buy the faster one” blah blah

All fixed and running like a dream now. Thanks for all your help.. you know who you are ;)
What engine?

Petrol?. Diesel?

What size..?

What other mods?

Where did you get it mapped?

Who diagnosed a faulty turbo?

What was the diagnosis?

Oil starvation?

Thinned oil? / Water in oil?

Etc etc etc.

More details please.

What engine?

Petrol?. Diesel?

What size..?

What other mods?

Where did you get it mapped?

Who diagnosed a faulty turbo?

What was the diagnosis?

Oil starvation?

Thinned oil? / Water in oil?

Etc etc etc.

More details please.
Sorry mate. 150ps T32 diesel, no other engine mods but I’m on air and run ridiculously low if that matters.

I knew it was the turbo when it went. originally the revo mapping garage said the turbo had a whistle and it didn’t sound right.

Sent it off to VW and they fixed it. I Didn’t ask to many questions! They didn’t really say a great deal. Had VW assist come pick it up and they had it for a week and it came back. Trying to get the paper work as we speak for the files.

Might be a daft question, but is the 150 running the same or a bigger/better turbo than the 102?

hi folkes im thinking on a remap soon but again i have a t6 102 5 speed box if it matters any know nout about remaps other than looking on here i was only looking at going to around 130/140 just want that bit more out of it .does the ploblems lye with trying to go 170 out of it or do you think its a waste going from 102 to say 130 im not after getting the max im doing a camper conversion on it so will be carrying that bit more weight vans done 54.000 miles if it matters any

I had a similar turbo failure after a remap on my 2 1/2 year old t6, it went to vw and they picked up the remap and threw my warranty claim out . Cost me nearly 4K . I learned my lesson, should of left as standard !!!. Did they not mention it being mapped At main stealers or was it put back previously to standard map?
Did you get your remap removed if so did VW do it or did you take it back , I have the same problem after a Pendle remap, warranty claim thrown out and paying for new turbo

Back