TVS DSG remap.

Just spoke to Eco-Tune in Glasgow (only place in Scotland that will do the TVS upgrade) and they told me that, for some reason, they have not historically been able to install the TVS DSG update on T6 vans. No specifics given.

Does anyone know what this might relate to?

@BognorMotors, sorry to haul you in but have you ever heard of anything like this? I'd love to have you do the work but Edinburgh to Bognor is a bit of a stretch :)

Thanks.

It only the very late T6.1s that we are having issues with, due to covid, Brexit Blah blah, they couldn't get the files, but they are catching up now.

Well worth doing, will transform the drive of the van in every way. Driveability is all you need up to and including stage 1 tune. Stage 2 tune and beyond, with big BHP and torque then stage 2+

HTH

Drive down south is always a worthwhile trip ;-)

It only the very late T6.1s that we are having issues with, due to covid, Brexit Blah blah, they couldn't get the files, but they are catching up now.

Well worth doing, will transform the drive of the van in every way. Driveability is all you need up to and including stage 1 tune. Stage 2 tune and beyond, with big BHP and torque then stage 2+

HTH

How much does this upgrade cost? Sounds like it would sort out the flat spots that come with the DSG experiences.

HTH

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I kind of wondered if it would be a T6.1 thing.

Bit disappointing that my local company can't tell the difference between a T6 and a T6.1 but hopefully not an indicator of their work :) TBF, they have a great reputation.

Also really appreciate the guidance on the choice of map. Looking over the Stage 2+ features there seems to be little there that, hand on heart, really applies to a van.

Here's a question:

It seems that the D mode for the box is more or less optimised by TVS themselves but that the S mode can be adapted to meet your own requirements:

1636014475231.png

I'm guessing my Tuner will have some input here but I'm curious what other people have opted for when they've had the work done? Speed/towing.... I'm not sure I see it as a 'City' mode :)

For my part I tend to use the 'S' mode when I have a quiet road or need to overtake. It's not a mode I use every day. My only real complaint is that the shifts (especially in the low gears) are fairly brutal with a nasty kick that I'm guessing does the drivetrain no favours at all. This is especially the case if you come off the throttle and then put your foot down again. If that alone were sorted out, I'd be pretty happy.

Cheers.

I went with the defaults and the dealer did not ask many questions nor did I, but obviously the dealer should be able to help with the options and if they affect the pricing.

I used to use S in smaller curvy / hilly roads to keep revs up in good torque range but there's no need for that anymore - I'm not sure if I've not touched S or M in the 1500 miles or so since I had the optimization installed :D. M I never really use, only very occasionally to force more aggressive engine breaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mmi
I’m equally confused with “S” mode. I tow a hoofing twin-axle caravan and didn’t find it helped much, so I’m not sure what tweaking it would do for me!

That said, “smoothing out” the normal “D” is intriguing me!

Watching this thread with interest

I was hoping to have this done by Bognor on Monday but apparently there’s an issue with my particular van at the moment.
I have a T6.1 which is just over a year old.
Very annoying seeing as it’s taken me almost a year to pluck up the courage to do it! And it’s a 2hr drive away Oh well.
I don’t know why exactly but hopefully there will be a solution in the next couple of weeks or so.
And no doubt I’ll buy more stuff whilst I’m down there having it done! Ha ha

Okay, resurrecting this one for a quick question.

Can anyone who has had the TVS remap comment on the smoothness of the shifting? I gather it attempts to reduce clutch slip (especially in 2nd gear). Does this do anything to the abruptness of the shifts?

I'm hoping it's not like the whip crack shifting that I get when I (gingerly) engage the sport mode. The family would complain.

Ta.

It depends on which map you go for, most of us have the base drivability upgrade and that is lovely and smooth for me.

It depends on which map you go for, most of us have the base drivability upgrade and that is lovely and smooth for me.

I'd only be considering the driveability one. Just wanted to check whether it's likely to upset the family in terms of comfort relative to the stock map.

I'm hoping it's not like the whip crack shifting that I get when I (gingerly) engage the sport mode. The family would complain.
Much smoother than sport mode imho, especially in shifting down.

How do you know what TVS DSG upgrade you have on your van? Isit Somewhere within the config files on say Carissa or OBD11?

How do you know what TVS DSG upgrade you have on your van? Isit Somewhere within the config files on say Carissa or OBD11?
Unless you have an engine remap you will only have the drivability map.

You see software number and version with eg OBD11 but that doesn't really tell anything without knowing what versions are out there. My (unverified) understanding is that TVS HQ keeps track of all software sold so you might be able to ask them by VIN or the version number.

Much smoother than sport mode imho, especially in shifting down.

Could you comment on how it feels compared to the stock 'Drive' map? Sport mode is banned by the family so it has to be way better than that :)

Could you comment on how it feels compared to the stock 'Drive' map? Sport mode is banned by the family so it has to be way better than that :)
To me it feels pretty much like stock "D" except the rev/torque ranges for each gear are much better. I don't feel big difference in *how* it shifts, just *when* it shifts. I know the shifts are supposed to be quicker with the map but at least in my everyday fairly light-footed driving it makes no real difference.

You're not going to lose any comfort with the map - quite the opposite. But if you hesitate, try to find a van with a dsg map to take for a quick spin and judge for yourself.

To me it feels pretty much like stock "D" except the rev/torque ranges for each gear are much better. I don't feel big difference in *how* it shifts, just *when* it shifts. I know the shifts are supposed to be quicker with the map but at least in my everyday fairly light-footed driving it makes no real difference.

You're not going to lose any comfort with the map - quite the opposite. But if you hesitate, try to find a van with a dsg map to take for a quick spin and judge for yourself.

That's really helpful. Thanks.

Back