TV’s, their Locations and Setups.

Ed Webb

Webber
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Looking and weighing up the best options for tv in the van. Ideally looking for the standard freeview channels.
There are the 12v TVs or some laptops/tablets with apps.
Use this thread to show us what exactly you use and where/how it's set up. I'm talking flipdown, swing bracket, tablets on headrest and the list can go on.

I've used PCTV NanoStick on laptops successfully in the past. It's worked with many Windows versions up to Windows 10.

Ignoring language problems it works OK in Europe as well.

I'm liking both of those ideas and can see them both working with the current van set up.
We have a trip to Ireland planned end of June so will be looking at getting something before then.

August DTV905 here with the better aerial DTA240.
Very portable and works surprisingly well.

Pete

does the bracket fit on the headrest supports direct or does it need the extension part as well
as it says it fits between 120mm and 160mm

That’s the route in going. iPad on a bracket, fitted to the roof hatch so it can be positioned at either end of the van. Bose mini bluetooth speaker for sound :thumbsup:
And there was I, thinking I was being all original by planning to use my Android tablet and Bose Mini Soundlink 2 (truly awesome sound for something so small).
At least now I know that not ALL of my idea's are daft

Thanks for this - we have always been "no TV" when camping or on other holidays. However, now we seem to be having lots of shorter breaks we have been bending to the pressure of a teenager and considering getting a TV as a backup - £80 (using your discount code) has won the argument - just ordered via Amazon.

I also have the same TV for the van, an August DTV905, it lives permanently on the back of the drivers headrest.
I was sceptical given its small size but its really good, clear sound, clear picture, and the battery lasts ages.
It really helps when its raining and my granddaughter Chloe is in an 'I'm bored' phase ;)
The review didnt really emphasise the practicality of the USB socket - I have mine, my lads and Chloe's entire DVD collections
on a flush-mount stick permanently installed in the TV. Being flush-mount means it doesnt stick out & get caught,
and of course there are no DVDs to carry/lose/manhandle. Like most indoor whip-aerials, the one supplied is
pretty useless unless you have a very strong signal, but with a proper aerial its as sensitive as any typical TV.
August do a range of portable antennas - mine is the DTA245 amplified, better than the supplied aerial
but still no match for a proper yagi.
By chance I also have a Logic TV at home and the software is identical to the August.
Incidentally the reviewer mentions HDMI in & out - its not, its out-only.
Another thing - the external power input is 9v so dont connect it straight to your leisure battery!

IMG_20180418_182931911_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back