Trying to decide which is a reliable van, the 150 or 204?

Chuffern

Hi, new member here
I have read post from September 19 about egr cooler failure on the 204 bitdi, but nothing has been raised since. I’m looking at purchasing a 204 but a mechanic friend has suggested to stay clear of this type due to this issue. Is it so common or is it just bad luck? or which is the better engine to go for? Have the egr cooler been rectified by vw and if so when?
I’m looking at buying a kombi with the intention to convert into a camper. Any help and advice would be dearly appreciated.

I guess that is a risk with the 204. But there’s egr problems with all the variants. My 204 has just done a 6k road trip that’s taken it to 120k. Never missed a beat. But who knows what’s round the corner. Best not to worry about it.
What I will say is that it was pulling up mountain passes in Norway from 1500 revs in 4th gear with ease. And that’s a full camper conversion with 4 weeks worth of the wife’s clothes in there too.

Hi, new member here
I have read post from September 19 about egr cooler failure on the 204 bitdi, but nothing has been raised since. I’m looking at purchasing a 204 but a mechanic friend has suggested to stay clear of this type due to this issue. Is it so common or is it just bad luck? or which is the better engine to go for? Have the egr cooler been rectified by vw and if so when?
I’m looking at buying a kombi with the intention to convert into a camper. Any help and advice would be dearly appreciated.
Every vehicle with an an EGR is going to require a replacement at some point, just a case of how soon and how often.
I‘ve got a 180ps CFCA fully converted camper, the torque is nice to have as it reduces gear changes but I certainly don’t need the power if I want to drive within the law.
A bi-turbo assembly is going to cost way more to replace than a single turbo.
Squeezing more performance out of a relatively small TDI is no doubt going to reduce reliability.
The biggest cost these days and almost certainly looking to future is fuel, I’d opt for the best fuel economy without wringing the t*ts off the engine / gearbox.
From what I’ve read the 150ps, 6 speed is ample for a campervan.

I agree with @DXX , very good points raised. I just know I will need to save for an inevitable EGR replacement at some point but unfortunately that's part of owning a modern diesel, not great but lets not go into that!

I have had my 150ps 6 speed fully loaded on multiple occasions. It still has more than enough power for anything sensible you would need it for even on steep hills etc. (I have driven the A470 fully loaded multiple times) no issues at all.

Based on what you have said for a camper I would suggest the 150 would be more than enough for your needs. Don't get me wrong the 204 will be more fun but would use more fuel and if it ever did need any repairs (hopefully not) they would be more expensive.

Also worth bearing in mind that you only often hear about things when they go wrong on forums etc so it can give a skewed view on reality, I imagine there are 1000's of happy 204 owners but they don't start a thread saying how there is nothing wrong!

Best of luck!

I agree with @DXX , very good points raised. I just know I will need to save for an inevitable EGR replacement at some point but unfortunately that's part of owning a modern diesel, not great but lets not go into that!

I have had my 150ps 6 speed fully loaded on multiple occasions. It still has more than enough power for anything sensible you would need it for even on steep hills etc. (I have driven the A470 fully loaded multiple times) no issues at all.

Based on what you have said for a camper I would suggest the 150 would be more than enough for your needs. Don't get me wrong the 204 will be more fun but would use more fuel and if it ever did need any repairs (hopefully not) they would be more expensive.

Also worth bearing in mind that you only often hear about things when they go wrong on forums etc so it can give a skewed view on reality, I imagine there are 1000's of happy 204 owners but they don't start a thread saying how there is nothing wrong!

Best of luck!
I agree with you david173

When it comes to 150ps or 204ps and saying which is the most reliable, only VW will be able to say - and good luck getting that info out of them. You are into the realms of very finite probability, where the difference between the two is really down to the luck of the individual owner and the way the vehicle is treated, driven, stored and serviced.

I have a 204ps 4Motion which I LOVE :inlove: ... it hasn't missed a beat since I got it in January and it's been through Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, U.K. and Holland, in a few weeks it'll add Slovenia and Croatia to that list. Twisty, steep mountain passes and german Autobahns are a joy.

Basing a choice on the probability of an EGR failure instead of which engine you would prefer to drive is IMO not logical, especially if you want the extra power - it's like picking lottery numbers and thinking some numbers are more likely to come up than others.

If you want 204ps, buy it, don't spend your entire ownership experience consoling yourself with the thought that perhaps you avoided an EGR failure that may not happen to you. :thumbsup:

Carpe diem!!

Thank you all for coming back to me, I’ve been trolling used van websites for what seems weeks now and it’s getting confusing on what I’m looking at . The one I have found and tbh, fallen for does seem to good to be true and although haven’t gone to view it I think I’ll pass on it. So with all of your helpful feedback I know which path I should take

Picked my van based on spec and colour other than engine. It’s a 150 dsg.
Depends what is the car you come from but I am used to 400+ hp cars and the 150 felt very underpowered and not torquey. Not adequate when pulling off roundabouts or from standstill.
Much better after remapping the engine but 204 remapped would be even better.
All of this just to say they are very expensive van and you want to make the right choice. Drive different engines and see which one would be better for you.

The government won't let that happen.
Really? So when there's a massive hole in government finances due to the reduction in use of ICE vehicles, you don't think the tax burden will be switched over to electric vehicles? IMO that's exactly what will happen, and the promise of cheaper running costs (that supposedly justifies the greater initial outlay of an electric vehicle) will simply disappear.

Picked my van based on spec and colour other than engine. It’s a 150 dsg.
Depends what is the car you come from but I am used to 400+ hp cars and the 150 felt very underpowered and not torquey. Not adequate when pulling off roundabouts or from standstill.
Much better after remapping the engine but 204 remapped would be even better.
All of this just to say they are very expensive van and you want to make the right choice. Drive different engines and see which one would be better for you.
The family car is a vw sharan 184 dsg and about 4”shorter than a swb, but we also have a gti which I still think I’m driving when I jump into the sharan. The sharan handles like a barge thou !! I appreciate manufacturers try and make vans to drive like cars ie comfort levels and alike but its still a van and it will have to be driven like a van I guess.
As the van that I was interested has been sold as of yesterday I think I’ll go for the 150 and get it mapped later on as it’s going to be a project vehicle.

Really? So when there's a massive hole in government finances due to the reduction in use of ICE vehicles, you don't think the tax burden will be switched over to electric vehicles? IMO that's exactly what will happen, and the promise of cheaper running costs (that supposedly justifies the greater initial outlay of an electric vehicle) will simply disappear.
I agree, of course Road User Charging will come. The Highway is already the last ‘utility’ that is effectively free at the point of use, or almost completely free with an EV. Some form of charging has to be coming.

The family car is a vw sharan 184 dsg and about 4”shorter than a swb, but we also have a gti which I still think I’m driving when I jump into the sharan. The sharan handles like a barge thou !! I appreciate manufacturers try and make vans to drive like cars ie comfort levels and alike but its still a van and it will have to be driven like a van I guess.
As the van that I was interested has been sold as of yesterday I think I’ll go for the 150 and get it mapped later on as it’s going to be a project vehicle.
Don’t get fooled! T6 handle a lot better than you would expect and it’s not difficult to drive it fast on B roads. Set suspension from comfort to sport ( if you have dcc) and drive it like you stole it (or on coilovers).

Back