Trouble in paradise? Glow plug light/ EGR?

Fluff34567

Swiss member
T6 Guru
Future larger troubles on the horizon.......
I have a 2016 euro 6 204 4m dsg with a pendle remap.

Other night after starting and driving for a minute the glowplug light started flashing, I had to pick something up so engine off then on and everything fine for the next hour on the motorway.

Yesterday after starting and going into reverse the engine died as I backed out. I could restart it again and no other warning lights.

I had noticed in the past on a few occasions a slight engine hesitation when starting from cold and reversing.

I used obdeleven yesterday and found 2 faults logged, ibelieve the EGR sensor A circuit range is a nuisance message ?

Couldn't find any fault logged relating to the previous flashing glow plug light.

This morning again after about 1 minute the flashing glow plug light appeared again and I noticed engine was in limp mode, would not go faster than 60mph/100kmh.

Again engine off then restart cancelled the warning but this time for a split second I had "stop starting error".

After restarting full power restored.

Unfortunately my obdeleven decided it wouldn't connect today so currently can't check any faults.

I'm Guessing the EGR is clogged and causing issues?

On the 204 engine is it at the front of the engine Upper RH corner connected to the black boost pipe?

Thanks for any tips!

Screenshot_20211014-090257_OBDeleven.jpg

Screenshot_20211014-090243_OBDeleven.jpg

Does the latest mileage 108010 km and the time 23:38 coincide with flashing coil light?
The other one at 102258 km is obviously a single incident in the past (frequency counter=1) thus probably can be ignored now.

Is that all data, or can you scroll down further to disclose more data? There should be some 15-25 lines more data.

Please post a screenshot (software baseline data) from
Control Units > Engine > Info

Hi mmi, the time is incorrect but the km is about right. From the screen shot that's all the data on the fault page. I will have a look at the baseline data later and make a screenshot.

Reactions: mmi
Does this help?
Yes, it does, thank you - confirms the engine software was up to date - the software number&version above are the latest (was introduced in 2019).
I find a bit puzzling the "Unknown ambient data" - perhaps it's just because of the remap :unsure:

Anyways, can't say anything definite about the faults. Also puzzling is the priority 2 of the faults with frequency 1 only - wouldn't expect turn any fault lights on. I'm currently waiting for the 6th occurence of more common EGR imperfection - without any dash lights. Wouldn't know about it without VCDS :laugh:. Below a sample of the additional data which should come with fault codes.

1634476388971.png

Fault didn't happen for a few days but have now noticed a pattern. If van is inside in a garage where its warm I don't get a fault. If the van is kept outside then the fault appears.

When I stop then restart I often get a stop/start error which made me think.of something else-

Noticed when I have obdeleven connected the battery voltage is never above 12v and it drops to about 11.8, 11.6 fairly quickly. wondering if the factory leisure battery is dead and when ignition is set to on its causing a drain on the starter battery?

It might be right on the edge and when warm just enough to stop it causing a fault?

@Dellmassive does the split charge factory system allow starter battery to feed the leisure battery when ignition is set to on or acc?

Thanks for infos, rules that out then!

So the fault is definitely temperature related, if van is outside and temps below 8c the fault appears within 1 km. If inside a heated garage which is 20c or on a warm day the fault doesn't appear.

I'm suspecting a corroded plug.

I have been trying to find the location of the EGR but can't find it in the bay any tips on the location ?

So the fault is definitely temperature related, if van is outside and temps below 8c the fault appears within 1 km.
You mean the flashing glow plug light?
Did you clear the faults? Does the "malfunction frequency counter" step up on both faults P042000 and P046C00?
Are the fault statuses still "intermittent"?
Re the Start-Stop fault - did you check the fault memory of controllers 09 and 61?

You mean the flashing glow plug light?
Did you clear the faults? Does the "malfunction frequency counter" step up on both faults P042000 and P046C00?
Are the fault statuses still "intermittent"?
Re the Start-Stop fault - did you check the fault memory of controllers 09 and 61?
Hi, yes the flashing glow plug light and limp mode . I cleared the faults but when I read them the frequency counter is 1 and still intermittent. I make a full scan and only have the 2 egr faults.

I'm away at the moment and back to the van in about 10 days.

When it happens again I won't clear the fault and see how the counter reacts. .

I tried to get more detailed fault info but I can't see where and not sure obdeleven can do that

me again...... and some correction to an earlier answer! the unlearning counter does increase for the excessive flow fault.

but on other news the fault has not returned for the last 2 weeks.

i have tried to find where in obdeleven i can get some more detailed info when a fault occurs such as the info mmi listed in post #5 but failed.

no response on obdeleven forums either.

where in obdeleven i can get some more detailed info when a fault occurs
I think it's just the "unknown ambient data" - the OBDeleven failed to decode the data for this fault perhaps...
1637273661460.png

After not having the fault it has come back due to colder weather.

100% temperature related so I'm suspecting a faulty sensor instead of a real fault but this time the coil light came on whilst driving for about 30 mins.

I have read on a few forums the EGR sensor A fault is a false message ... im wondering if its a real fault and triggering the coil light ?

I can't find much info on which sensor it might be.

I cleaned the MAF and temp sensor but fault came back whilst driving. I noticed the temp sensor connector swivels and isn't a solid connector wondering if that's normal?

See pic :

Next Question which might be related... air filters for dusty conditions, is there a specific setting for that in vcds ? Wondering if the ecu has different air flow rates for the different filters?

Screenshot_20220112-033344_Chrome.jpg

eventually went to get it on a proper diagnostic and the fault comes back the EGR actuator end stops are not correct. replacement is over 2,000 euro for a new unit but i will try the cleaning first at about 200 euro first.... depending how they clean it

Don’t know how they do it @Fluff34567, but we had our van in for an EGR flush under warranty at our local main dealer. That was three years ago, and it hasn’t been any trouble since.

Back