Trim under front windscreen

Davidm

What is the plastic trim under the front windscreen called and how do you remove it? I'm needing to lay cables from the battery to a B2B charger inside and can see a grommet to put the cables through behind it....

IMG20220915174355.jpg

Most people use a grommet which is behind the battery and enters the cab under the glovebox. It’s quite easy to access.
Removing the front scuttle will require a pulling tool to remove the wipers.

1. 2x front wipers off, there’s a good chance you’ll need a small 2 leg puller as they are on tapers. Note the resting position of the blade tips and reference mark with some masking tape on the windscreen before removal. Both wipers should be the same but it doesn’t hurt to replace them in the same position.
2. Small battery cover / trim to remove.
3. Pull off the long rubber seal that runs side to side.
4. Pull the long plastic cover down and away from the windscreen, you might need some force.
BE CAREFUL not to damage the 2x electrical connectors to the heated windscreen if you have one.
5. Make sure no key in switch and disconnect the front wiper mechanism electrics before removing the mounting bolts and pull out the wiper mechanism.
6. Dismount the alarm sounder, stainless steel box in the middle of the scuttle.
7. Carefully dismount the wiring harness from the bulkhead clips.
Assembly in reverse order.
Always worth banging a few words into Search, most topics have been covered before.
You may want to sound proof the scuttle as it makes a massive difference to the noise level in the cab.

vw t6 scuttle panel :

1663337369070.png

vw t6 plenum chamber

1663337409504.png

Always worth banging a few words into Search, most topics have been covered before.
You may want to sound proof the scuttle as it makes a massive difference to the noise level in the cab.
Thanks very much DXX. Your instructions were very useful today. When I soundproofed the scuttle on my T6.

Wipers off, scuttle panel off and then remove wiper motor. Just degrease and i used Dodo mate and closed cell foam.......well worth the effort for noise reduction in the cab from the engine bay. Sounds like a big job but it's easy when you start taking it all apart.

View attachment 182174
Did you use 30mm foam? That’s about the max‘ thickness that can be applied.

I used Dodo Mat DEADN Duo for the rear floor and the scuttle. It combines deadening mat with foam.

For the scuttle, rather than tryIng to handle large pieces in a confined area, I initially cut some pieces about 150 x 200 mm. Then lots more of various sizes. Gradually sticking them on, measuring more, cutting to size, and so on. Covering as much of the area of possible. I warmed each piece with a hot air gun before application. It makes the mat/foam a lot more pliable and more sticky.

I had to use a small 2-leg puller to remove the wipers arms. Before I did that I marked the wiper positions at both ends on the screen with masking tape.
I couldn’t disconnect the plug on the wiper motor. After releasing the cable clips there was enough slack to move the wiper assembly out of the way.

To remove the plastic screen trim, I started to pull up and out from the drivers side first. It was pretty easy once it started to move. Be careful not to damage the wires to the heated screen. They hang from the bottom of the screen, under the plastic screen trim.

I guess it look me about 3 or 4 hours.

On a related note, my van had standard 16” 205 Hankook tyres. I’ve recently changing them to 16” 215 Michelin Agilis 3, before I deadened the floor and scuttle I might add. What a difference, the Michelins are so much quieter!
Next job is to sound proof the front floor area. Most of the van will have been done then..

Reactions: CAB
Back