Tread lifting on tyres

stupot

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All, my T32 204 4motion DSG (bought recently) is in having some bits looked at including a couple of vibrations/noises. Seems one is the flywheel (waiting for extended warranty claim to be approved). The tech in the video from the dealer is saying the tyre treads are lifting and this might be a source of noise. I’ve got about 3mm on fronts and 4mm on rears, Pirelli 275/40/20. I’ve never heard of that happening in 25 years of owning (a lot of) cars, many of which have been given a good thrashing! I also managed a customer care team for a couple of years at another well known German car manufacturer and never heard of this. Anyone had this happen to them? Now worried I need to get rid of the 20’s.

Hi All, my T32 204 4motion DSG (bought recently) is in having some bits looked at including a couple of vibrations/noises. Seems one is the flywheel (waiting for extended warranty claim to be approved). The tech in the video from the dealer is saying the tyre treads are lifting and this might be a source of noise. I’ve got about 3mm on fronts and 4mm on rears, Pirelli 275/40/20. I’ve never heard of that happening in 25 years of owning (a lot of) cars, many of which have been given a good thrashing! I also managed a customer care team for a couple of years at another well known German car manufacturer and never heard of this. Anyone had this happen to them? Now worried I need to get rid of the 20’s.
They’re not Sottozero tyres, are they?
I saw some 18” wheels shod with them in which looked to me like delamination, with the seller saying they were the result of taking corners too fast and the edges creating ‘chicken strips’ (like you get on motorcycle tyres).

Our 17 plate Skoda Yeti failed its first MOT a couple of years back. All 4 Pirelli zeros had split along the treads down to the fibres. They were the tyres it was supplied with from new & had done 8000 miles. The dealer sent them back to Pirelli & we got a £400 refund.

They’re not Sottozero tyres, are they?
I saw some 18” wheels shod with them in which looked to me like delamination, with the seller saying they were the result of taking corners too fast and the edges creating ‘chicken strips’ (like you get on motorcycle tyres).
I’ll check as I can’t remember but I think they might be p-zeros

Back