Recommendations for Croatia

Daffy

Sold
T6 Guru
we are in southern Germany at the moment and fancy finding a campsite in Croatia for a week by the sea.

We don’t want to go too far south as we will need to go home and can’t really seem to find anything that ticks our boxes on the internet.

We want somewhere with a few bars and restaurants locally and by the sea. We have heard Pula mentioned a few times but really don’t have any idea in those parts.

Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere nice in Croatia?

The only times that I've ever been camping in Croatia we were driving all the way through the country on the way to somewhere else and only stayed in a couple of sites that were conveniently placed as we were thinking about stopping for the night!! I do however know the country very well (look at the map and you will see that the coastline goes about 1000 miles from Italy to Montenegro).

If you don't want to go too far along the coast, I can thoroughly recommend Rovinj (which is actually only about 35 minutes from Pula). It's a lovely old venetian town with a fair few decent beaches in the area and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a good campsite that ticks all your boxes with a bit of research - the rest of Istria is also nice and Pula has got a fantastic Roman amphitheatre. The public transport system is very good so you don't need to use the van all the time if you don't want to. I suspect that once you've been to Croatia once, you'll get the urge to explore a bit more. We're probably going next year for about a month (inc. travel time) in the van and will probably spend some time in Slovenia as well (another really nice country which you would drive through on the way from southern Germany to Croatia).​

+1 on rovinji.
Also,
Can very highly recommended "camping krk 5star". Absolutely beautiful site and area - not sure if you might even get it on cheap acsi rate soon.
I will get back there one day! It's just fabulous!!!

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping someone might have recommended somewhere but we will be making our way tomorrow and will look around Rovinj.

Edit, I did check Camping Krk 5 star but it is full....

Stayed at one just across bay from rovinji, will try n find the name - water taxi ran back n forth to the town. Nice swimming pools too.

Amarin resort. Quite big but good pools & water taxi.
Enjoy wherever you end up, beautiful part of the world

"Come to think of it, I was there because it was the Balkan War"

You and me both brother. I finally got back there about 10 years ago when there was still a lot of damage in evidence from the war of independence, particularly in Dubrovnik and it's environs. That has mostly been cleared and restored now. I was holidaying not far from there about six years ago and there was still a lot of shell damage to buildings just up the hill from our hotel (but it was all being repaired). Saying all that, it's still one of my favourite countries in Europe and they don't half make some nice wine.

... knowing the country well, I recommend camping Koversada in Vrsar, alternatively camping Porto Sole always in Vrsar. We have been visiting Koversada since 1982 ..... Vrsar is a delightful town between Porec and Rovinj, far from the masses of tourists who crowd these two now too big cities. From the two campsites you can reach the town on foot in 5 minutes, and the kamp pitches are large and the services are impeccable ..... if you need them, I will provide you with other directions bye

Thanks all, we went to Dubrovnik several years ago and the poster as you walk into the town showing where the shells landed was very humbling, it’s a beautiful country with lovely people and hard to imagine that much hate.

We are in Austria tonight aiming for Croatia tomorrow and will report back once settled.

...... the most panoramic road to reach the Istrian coast is this: ... from the highway above Trieste go to Slovenia to Kozina, at the traffic light take the road to the border with Croatia in Socerga ... go towards Buzet .. Vizinada ... Porec .... Vrsar and you will be on the sea making a beautiful road between mountains and sea ... the navigator will help you ... and there are many places to eat well .. have a good trip

hi out there any horror or otherwise stories we are driving over to Krk in Croatia next summer to a cool looking camping place on the island of Krk , anyone got any feedback thoughts or suggestions . We are doing Dover -Dunkirk , across BE , across DE , overnight near Munich , next day thru alps into Slovenia down to coast , I’ve done it twice from Amsterdam when I lived there about 19 years ago but the world has changed !!
Dave

I went through the countries you mentioned and then through Croatia on my way to Turkey on my motorbike in 2 years ago. I’m sure you won’t have any problems.

We went to Croatia in August, we went from Le Havre, through the Black Forest, Austria, Slovenia and onto Rovinj in Croatia, no dramas at all except a bit of a queue getting across the Slovenian/Croatian border, this cost us approx 30 mins going in and an hour coming out. Apparently its anti terrorism checks although they weren't looking too hard.

We looked at Krk as our next stop on the way to Split but decided to head north as the weather was not so good going south.

hi out there any horror or otherwise stories we are driving over to Krk in Croatia next summer to a cool looking camping place on the island of Krk , anyone got any feedback thoughts or suggestions . We are doing Dover -Dunkirk , across BE , across DE , overnight near Munich , next day thru alps into Slovenia down to coast , I’ve done it twice from Amsterdam when I lived there about 19 years ago but the world has changed !!
Dave
Cheers mate , I will look at le harve,

I went through the countries you mentioned and then through Croatia on my way to Turkey on my motorbike in 2 years ago. I’m sure you won’t have any problems.
Thanks for the reply . Dave

Just found this, my route. Ask any questions if you want.
View attachment 51789
Cheers , it’s similar to what I’m looking at , but going about 45 mins out of our way to stay in a holiday inn express in nurnberg on way down as I’ve got some points on a card , figured that after all day in van , 3 hours home to Dover , 2 hours getting over and 7 to Nuremberg that we will kip in the hotel rather than van as it’s for nowt

Back