Popped in to an independent vw garage today to have the headlight alignment checked. Turns out it was spot on- I did explain these were aftermarket units with HID bulbs fitted and the mechanic, who happens to be the MOT tester said they looked fine and in general as long as the install looks good will pass if the lights are working inside the cut off range. Guess I know where I will he getting future MOT’s done then!
Top result. Good to see you're not giving DVSA (was VOSA) a sniff of where this sensible tester is!

Very interesting read, I’ve just fitted some Philips xtreame led h7 and h1 to my thq headlights

the h7 are working although I do have a light on the dash, but the light output it awful

the h1 don’t even work have no idea why

Reading this thread I’m better off going hid on the dipped which I’m going to buy

many ideas on the h1 mains and why they don’t work??

I have tried all types of leds and the h7 are especially poor light output. I also tried the Philips h7 gen2 lights and some of the cheap Chinese bulbs gave far superior light output, they also gave a bulb out despite being canbus compatible.
I have just fitted a set of old h7 HiDs I had and the difference is night and day, they are 35w 4300k. I have stuck with the leds in the h1 though for quick startup. They seem to produce a pretty descent light and beam pattern.

My advice to all out there still trialling or contemplating led H7s is to forget it, stop wasting time and money and go down the HiDs route. The beam pattern is perfect and the output of light is especially good.

I have these fitted in the THQ GEN2 headlights

I have tried all types of leds and the h7 are especially poor light output. I also tried the Philips h7 gen2 lights and some of the cheap Chinese bulbs gave far superior light output, they also gave a bulb out despite being canbus compatible.
I have just fitted a set of old h7 HiDs I had and the difference is night and day, they are 35w 4300k. I have stuck with the leds in the h1 though for quick startup. They seem to produce a pretty descent light and beam pattern.

My advice to all out there still trialling or contemplating led H7s is to forget it, stop wasting time and money and go down the HiDs route. The beam pattern is perfect and the output of light is especially good.

I have these fitted in the THQ GEN2 headlights
Great Thankyou!! Ordering a set of hids now, did your led h1 work fine? I’m wondering if my led h7 are causing them problems as they worked fine before I installed them. also how did you get your dipped and main to stay on at the same time?

I'd pop some halogens in the dipped and test your LED H1s that way first. If you have a bulb warning light with dipped beam, the van will think they are not on, so won't give you main beam. Do they work when you pull the stalk towards you? You don't need dipped on to flash the lights, but if you have no lights turned on and push the stalk forwards, nothing happens.

The chances are they won't work with the HIDs either, unless they are super fancy pants CanBus ones that don't give a bulb error or flicker.

What age is your van. My 19 plate is far more temperamental when it come to these sort of things than the 68 I had before it.

I'd pop some halogens in the dipped and test your LED H1s that way first. If you have a bulb warning light with dipped beam, the van will think they are not on, so won't give you main beam. Do they work when you pull the stalk towards you? You don't need dipped on to flash the lights, but if you have no lights turned on and push the stalk forwards, nothing happens.

The chances are they won't work with the HIDs either, unless they are super fancy pants CanBus ones that don't give a bulb error or flicker.

What age is your van. My 19 plate is far more temperamental when it come to these sort of things than the 68 I had before it.

I put the standard h1s back in and nothing. I tried all the above they just don’t wana work!
I was looking at those terminator HIDS you posted up might give those a go
Mines a 19 plate
Thanks for the help

Apparently of all the canbus vehicles the t6 is the hardest to avoid bulb out even different t6s in the range react differently so it’s very much trial and error. You could always switch bulb monitor off with Vcds

All bulb monitoring does is turns of the warning light. The van still knows somethings not right, so has a strop.

Does anyone who has fitted HIDs have factory auto lights? Does it cope ok with the frequent on / off, like when going under a bridge?

I have factory auto lights and HID dipped bulbs- only had them in a week but they seem to handle it fine- to be honest I haven’t really noticed the slow warm up time at all. I have ordered the loom to keep them on with main beam too so hopefully that will be the end of the light saga.

I have noticed a couple of times in the last two days that the drivers side led dlr doesn’t come on— on/off seems to sort it out and it’s intermittent but anyone else running ThQ V2 had this issue? I can hear a very faint crackle noise if I pop the hood and listen closely as it comes on- wondered if this indicates a dodgy connection..?

Fine with auto lights. Probably because they don't turn off straight away, like the second you pass from under a tree.

Back