Having just fitted the Van Tech lights, I thought I'd share a tip that I've not seen mentioned anywhere in this thread so far and I'm sure it applies to the Transporter HQ light too. To get an even fit where the light unit joins the wing, you need to use the adjuster on the bottom of the unit. If you count the exposed threads from the unit you remove it won't be far off. I'm hanging a 19mm spanner off the adjuster in this photo so you can see what I mean.

DSC_0152.JPG

For anyone interested in the Van Tech unit, here is a picture of the fit from the front. It's as good as the original.

DSC_0154.JPG

Without any coding or wiring I can confirm this unit keeps dipped beam on with high beam although I'm still going to do it properly through VCDS too. The other interesting thing is that it appears to have a self levelling sensor inside which probably explains why it doesn't have any manual vertical adjustment. I need to do some testing on that to confirm properly.

@Mooncat They look good, the LED indicators don't look half as garish as the advert pictures! :thumbsup:

How's the light output?

I'm sure it applies to the Transporter HQ light too. To get an even fit where the light unit joins the wing, you need to use the adjuster on the bottom of the unit. If you count the exposed threads from the unit you remove it won't be far off. I'm hanging a 19mm spanner off the adjuster in this photo so you can see what I mean.

Yes, it's the same for the THQ lights, that's how I got mine stitting right.

Van Tech alternatives to TransporterHQ lights

It was a bit frosty and dull when I took this - the lights are not on, that is the reflection from the flash. The indicators flash at the correct speed and look much better than I expected. Regarding brightness, I've been cheating with my H4s and had a set of HIDs fitted (not the cheap ebay ones but a proper set designed for reflectors) and had been waiting for a proper alternative so that I didn't have to drive an illegal vehicle so that I could see where I was going. I've only done a very short run with these (1/4 mile); on dipped beam, the brightness of these units is not a patch on the HIDs and I need to do some comparisons with other halogen equipped vehicles before passing judgement. On high beam however, they are better than the HIDs were (the H4 HID units designed for reflectors are shielded to prevent glare and this compromises the high beam)

One issue I do have is that I would set dipped beam slightly higher than these units go although out of the box, both units aligned perfectly with each other. I'm going to take the rear caps off and see if I've missed any form of adjustment however the instructions say it is all done on the motors. Unplugging the units, changing the level setting in the vehicle and refitting after ignition off doesn't work either. As I said in an earlier post, I think there is a level sensor inside the unit. I have a bore-scope for my phone and will have a look inside.

The manufacturer is Junyan so you can look up the website to see what else they do.

DSC_0155.JPG

Last edited:
It was a bit frosty and dull when I took this - the lights are not on, that is the reflection from the flash. The indicators flash at the correct speed and look much better than I expected. Regarding brightness, I've been cheating with my H4s and had a set of HIDs fitted (not the cheap ebay ones but a proper set designed for reflectors) and had been waiting for a proper alternative so that I didn't have to drive an illegal vehicle so that I could see where I was going. I've only done a very short run with these (1/4 mile); on dipped beam, the brightness of these units is not a patch on the HIDs and I need to do some comparisons with other halogen equipped vehicles before passing judgement. On high beam however, they are better than the HIDs were (the H4 HID units designed for reflectors are shielded to prevent glare and this compromises the high beam)

One issue I do have is that I would set dipped beam slightly higher than these units go although out of the box, both units aligned perfectly with each other. I'm going to take the rear caps off and see if I've missed any form of adjustment however the instructions say it is all done on the motors. Unplugging the units, changing the level setting in the vehicle and refitting after ignition off doesn't work either. As I said in an earlier post, I think there is a level sensor inside the unit. I have a bore-scope for my phone and will have a look inside.

The manufacturer is Junyan so you can look up the website to see what else they do.

View attachment 17961

Just a thought but wouldn’t it be better to start a new thread showing the Van-Tech ones else anyone joining halfway through the conversation can easily get confused ?

I took my van in last week with the new headlights to get them aligned and checked to MOT standard. I'd changed the bulbs for the brighter ones Transporter HQ included with the headlights and one of them wasn't sitting just right so it was throwing the pattern out. A slight adjustment in the seating of the bulb and that's them aligned and checked to MOT standard. They look better and definitely throw out more light, I'm very pleased with them. I'm going to give my wallet a rest. For a couple of weeks
anyway....

Just wondering what the consensus is regarding to whom is selling the best projectop headlights?

Thanks for the reply, it does amaze me just how poor VW standard H4 headlights really are and how they continue to delivery poor lighting.

My T4 was dreadful, so much so I built my own Projector headlights from scratch, what a difference they made but I am very aware that all the current aftermarket T4 headlights are basically made of chocolate and worse than the VW originals so this is my concern for the latest batch of aftermarket lights.

they look great! Anyone got OEM H7 or OEM LED for comparison if not i will try to paste my H7 as soon as.

Back