I actually think the h4s are as good as the THQ ones in this shot. Ok not as white but visibility not really noticeable.

They do look similar here but out on the road there is a big difference when driving I have noticed it as has the other half

Im sure youre right. I have just sold a 66 plate Touareg that had the best lights i have ever experienced, adaptive too so literally went around corners before the car did...you can imagine my dissapointment when i switched on the H4s. When i asked the dealer if i should go for the LED upgrade on the T6 he said "i wouldnt bother, nothing will be as good as the Touareg so youll only be dissapointed" what a plonker...i didnt know about this forum then.
Anyway, i have decided on my next plan...a 3ft light bar.

IMO The THQ lights are a huge improvement over the H4's and far better than I was expecting!

I'm driving dark country roads on the way to work and the difference is amazing, (I haven't even needed to use main beam yet!) also in town / lit areas I no longer find myself checking to see if the lights are on! Without doubt one of the best upgrades I've done to the van so far!

I've just taken delivery of the other option from Van Tech. Although I'm not a fan of LED indicators, the build quality was what tipped me in that direction.

This is what the back end looks like.
View attachment 17804

Which ones have you got - the black or chrome?
I think the black ones look so much better as the indicator arrangement seems much less 'prominent'.

The only thing that would put me off the Van-tech lights is this bit "Please note on some euro 6 models (Later 2016 & 2017) the bulb error Light is likely to come of the dash on but the lights still function as they should.". It looks like you can remove it with VCDS but would be interesting to know why.

Anyway, too late for me to worry about that as I fitted my TransporterHQ lights on Sunday and am very happy with them :) Noticeably better on dark A-roads, and from an aesthetic perspective so much better than the ugly H4s! Fitting took me a bit longer than they claim, but then I did have a "helper"

fi2kC98vl2nklNFtICtFA-yxbj4E_BD8j7JiSPMiIo3fm5q4UPhoJSNawMpJ9TXdBCmGO6FhrUmwftv-Nz=w1131-h636-no.jpg

One thing to mention is that they both needed a lot of adjustment (vertically and horizontally), so don't think you can get away with skipping that step. There are lots of videos on youtube to explain how to do it.

I've not seen it mentioned here but it could be worth popping to a MOT test station and having the beam alignment checked on their test equipment. I will be doing that with my H7s as I had to a minor bit of adjustment.

The only thing that would put me off the Van-tech lights is this bit "Please note on some euro 6 models (Later 2016 & 2017) the bulb error Light is likely to come of the dash on but the lights still function as they should.". It looks like you can remove it with VCDS but would be interesting to know why.

I think it's the load the bulb takes. Dipped uses a H9 bulb which is 65 watt rather than the normal 55. Like you say, you can turn the warning off in VCDS. I'm fitting PIAA Hyper Arros bulbs to mine which for some reason are rated at 55w so I'll probably not have that issue anyway.

Does anyone know if the THQ lights are as good as or better than the OEM H7's? Also do I need to find a VCDS user to get both main and dipped on at the same time?

Does anyone know if the THQ lights are as good as or better than the OEM H7's? Also do I need to find a VCDS user to get both main and dipped on at the same time?

You will need vcds or similar to activate the main and full at the same time. Or wait for a look what they said they will be providing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the plunge this morning as I’m sick of eating carrots for better night vision. I was at THQ having the B14s fully lowered, unfortunately I struggle to resist shiny things, they fitted them for free for me too. Roll on darkness so I can have a play

Last edited:
I noticed Uberbus offering "lightbar DRL headlights" today. These look similar to those in CaliStu's picture : Uberbus . £450 + £100 fitting . (Looking at the picture of CaliStu's getting fitted, £100 fitting sounds like a bargain to me!)

I've just taken delivery of the other option from Van Tech. Although I'm not a fan of LED indicators, the build quality was what tipped me in that direction.

This is what the back end looks like.
View attachment 17804

I'm not overly keen on the LED indicators Van Tech units either but at least they have finished the rear of them to a good standard...........not leaving the rear of them like a poor school DT project! :D

I noticed Uberbus offering "lightbar DRL headlights" today. These look similar to those in CaliStu's picture : Uberbus . £450 + £100 fitting . (Looking at the picture of CaliStu's getting fitted, £100 fitting sounds like a bargain to me!)

"Free fitting" sounds like a better bargain to me :grin bounce:

You can borrow my helper if you like :)

Took this today, I've enabled the 'Dipped DRL' option when indicating so you can see the indicator in daylight and the DRL brightness. Hope it helps.Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 22.21.00.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 22.19.33.png Indicating with dipped beam.
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 22.18.13.png Dipped beam
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 22.17.20.png Main beam.

Back