THQ v3 DRL strip failure

Update: @Ads_Essex Travelin-lite have said their is no fix if the LED DRL strip has blown, but to check the Control Module on the back of each headlight, swap with working headlight to elimintate. Let the fun begin.

If thats a no go, I will chuck it in the garage as am no electrician, anyone know of any good head light experts garages in the south west?

I’ve had some THQ’s V2 for several years without issues. I did a fair bit of re-work on the external wiring harnesses before fitting.
The lights themselves are good but the wiring is sub-standard, personally I’d be embarrassed to send it out to customers.
I also made some covers for the external electronics as it was obvious that they had no water tight integrity.

Last edited:
I’ve has some THQ’s V2 for several years without issues. I did a fair bit of re-work on the external wiring harnesses before fitting.
The lights themselves are good but the wiring is sub-standard, personally I’d be embarrassed to send it out to customers.
I also made some covers for the external electronics as it was obvious that they had no water tight integrity.
Hi,

yes I agree, I am no sparky so it will have to go in.

I’ve had some THQ’s V2 for several years without issues. I did a fair bit of re-work on the external wiring harnesses before fitting.

Clearly you had the right idea here! I stuck them in without working on the wiring, on the grounds that having to sort out the wiring myself on £400+ headlights shouldn’t be necessary - bad assumption in retrospect.

Update, So after spending a few hrs in the cold and dark last night, this is my results.
Set light switch to Side both LED strip works if the van is in Park on the DSG. Soon as you put the hand brake, the drivers side goes out, passenger side stay on but dimmer.
Hand brake on, only the passenger side works.
Driving both LED lights work.
Set switch to Auto, all light bar the LED strip come on as it should.
Set switch to lights on, all lights bar the LED strip come on.

Think it must be a issue with the way coding etc.

MOT due in Jan, wait till then to see if it fail for lights.

Thanks for youe help guys.

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Update, So after spending a few hrs in the cold and dark last night, this is my results.
Set light switch to Side both LED strip works if the van is in Park on the DSG. Soon as you put the hand brake, the drivers side goes out, passenger side stay on but dimmer.
Hand brake on, only the passenger side works.
Driving both LED lights work.
Set switch to Auto, all light bar the LED strip come on as it should.
Set switch to lights on, all lights bar the LED strip come on.

Think it must be a issue with the way coding etc.

MOT due in Jan, wait till then to see if it fail for lights.

Thanks for youe help guys.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure coding would cause differences between the left/right headlight? I also don't think it could cause one to look 'dimmer' it's either on or it's off from a coding perspective I think (happy to be corrected though!).

It seems more likely to me it's some dodgy connection/wiring that then causes it to react erratically to minor changes in voltage/etc.

If your van is 2018 or newer, then DRL functionality does form part of the MOT. It's also worth checking whether the levelling motors are working correctly because that definitely is an MOT issue. I would try your best to fix it pre-MOT, mine failed on MOT and it's a lot more stressful to fix/replace under MOT-induced time pressure - I ended up shelling out a fair bit trying to source VW OEM H7's in a hurry!

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure coding would cause differences between the left/right headlight? I also don't think it could cause one to look 'dimmer' it's either on or it's off from a coding perspective I think (happy to be corrected though!).

It seems more likely to me it's some dodgy connection/wiring that then causes it to react erratically to minor changes in voltage/etc.

If your van is 2018 or newer, then DRL functionality does form part of the MOT. It's also worth checking whether the levelling motors are working correctly because that definitely is an MOT issue. I would try your best to fix it pre-MOT, mine failed on MOT and it's a lot more stressful to fix/replace under MOT-induced time pressure - I ended up shelling out a fair bit trying to source VW OEM H7's in a hurry!
Hi @t0mb0 , Thanks good buddy for the reply. Us none Electrical & Mechanical experts need guys like you.

Yes its a Jan 2020 so I will get it in the garage ASAP, dont want it failing and costing more(I know what you mean with the MOT timeline etc, right pain in the bum). Levelers work, tested them.

Same as mine, the short answer likely is the wiring on those THQ lights is garbage. You can verify this simply by wriggling the wires where they attach to the plug, it will likely cause the DRLs to go on and off as it did with mine. Unfortunately the plug is potted with a load of glue/sealant so fixing it probably involves cutting the wires and installing a new ten pin plug (and hoping the rest of the wiring is ok).

I gave up and installed some OEM H7 because it was the levelling motors on mine as well as the DRL’s which were erratic, which is an MOT fail.

Bit of a shame really, the THQ headlights themselves are decent, just let down by terrible quality wiring.
20230912_161255.jpg
I have one on for DRL but both work for sidelights,. Confused

Hi everyone I have a t6 with THQ V3 headlights and just one of the drl lights is not working on auto but works on all other settings wondering if any one can help please

F733F06D-605C-45DA-9688-799171272551.jpeg

Back