Traction Control - ESC/ASR & HDA switch retrofit

Ah, and there could be a second issue.
Which Engine do you have ?
Only the new EU6 Engine supports the HDA ...
If you have a EU5 Engine, than the ECU Firmware needs to be patched, to support this feature.

How do you update the firmware? I have an EU5 highline.

How do you update the firmware? I have an EU5 highline.
First of all:
You need to be able to Read and Write the Firmware of the EDC17CP20
For this there are tools on the marked.

I am using VCP with EDC17 Boot plugin, for this the ECU needs to be open.

Second: you need to know what Byte to change, to enable the CAN Bus Message: Motor_Bremse ENGBRK
This is different in every Firmware Version, but i can help to find it

Im about ready to do the TCS & HBA with all the time on my hands due to the COVID19 lockdown in place here in Italy.

I've got the plugs, the dash switches and the waterproof crimped ends... and a couple of questions which I can't find definitive answers for in the thread.

Judging by the pics I'll find the ABS unit underneath the starter battery?

I can run the cabling through the grommets in the firewall behind the starter battery; I reckon about 70 - 80 cm should be enough. It's the brown and grey/blue cable to 4 & 6. Does it matter which goes where?

I need to piggy back one of the other switches for the light behind the button but which cable on the plug should I use for this?

I've got VCDS but I'm not worried about this side (yet), I understand coding to a certain degree due to my GIS background plus there's plenty of screenshots on the thread already.

Judging by the pics I'll find the ABS unit underneath the starter battery?

Lukavell, the ABS is not under the starter battery, but left of it, under the BreakFluid-Thing.
But you will need to get the Battery out to get access to it.
Getting out the Diesel-Filter will help too.
Here is a picture which possibly helps better understanding. (Battery removed, wall, left from Battery removed, EBOX upper Casing removed, Diesel Filter removed)

IMG_2180.JPG

I am confused, did you found a different new Feature ?
Ore is this the Feature which we are talking for the last 10 Pages ?
Mate, you shouldn't be confused. I meant this, as you know this stuff better than anybody else ----> Traction Control

ASR = Acceleration Slippery Regulation

But in addition to the above I want to have "second stage" as well, which means to disable the whole traction control system (no ESP, no ESC or whatever you want to call it).

I spent some time today adding the wires to the ABS unit and feeding them through to the dash area. I made the coding change and as expected, the TC works but the HDC doesn't because I've a Euro5 van.
Can anyone update the firmware for me?

I've a Euro5 van.
Can anyone update the firmware for me?
I suppose you get the following Error in ABS when you enable HBA in ABS Coding:
Code:
8287 - Databus
          U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
          [ACAN: mMotor_Bremse frame timeout]
If you have a EDC17 EU5 Diesel Engine than i can patch the Firmware for you.
But:
- You need to be able to Read and Write the Firmware of your ECU
Expensive tuning tools can do this.
I am using VCP with EDC17 Boot Plugin, but this needs opening the ECU.
I know that "PCM Flash" can read/write via OBD, did not try it ....
- I need the RAW Binary Flash File, that is exactly 2 MB of size and a VCDS Autoscan
- I will do this for some tip.

Last edited:
Servus, danke,
I changed the coding but didn't get any error messages, just no function.

Maybe next time I'm in Munich I'll buy you a beer and you can explain more. I often go there because I work for the dark side (BMW)

I've just ordered the switches on my TC and I need to get the connector ordered. Are all the connectors on the switches the same inner 6pole block with a different colour outer shell to aid assembly?
Does anyone have the part number for the correct plug for the TC switch or should I just order an ebay connector and trim it to fit?

Are all the connectors on the switches the same inner 6pole block with a different colour outer shell to aid assembly?
Does anyone have the part number for the correct plug for the TC switch or should I just order an ebay connector and trim it to fit?
Yes all console switches connectors are the same. They only have different colours and some extra notches which can be easily trimmed with a razor blade or knife. I don't know the suffix but the part number begins with 4D0971636?
Also these are pre-crimped wires 000979009E to go in these connectors.

I bought 2 new switches (7E0927134B & 7E0941435D)and 2 second hand plugs(4D0971636? I had to trim some notches)
with 000979009E pre-crimped wires and paid in total approximately €40=£36;)
Then everything wired in and applied the following coding to the ABS unit.

Traction control off - Byte 15 bit 6 from 1 to 0 (already mentioned here by Dennis)
Hill descent assist - Byte 6 bit 1 from 0 to 1 & Byte 14 bit 6 from 0 to 1

@Robert

is this the part I need for the hill decent?? I have the switch.
94FC5133-D46A-4FCA-B38F-6A6BF1E5B7A6.jpeg

Back