Security Tracker.

I have been quoted £350 installed for a Meta tracker Cat7 which includes the first 12 months subscription.

After that £99 per year... i didn't really want to pay much more for the annual subscription, so am leaning towards this one...

Question is will a Cat7 tracker satisfy most insurance companies or do they insist on a Cat5...?

Vehicle will be insured for ~£55-60k and garaged rather than parked on a street.

Last edited:
What are the apps like for these trackers?

I had one on my last van, but it was rubbish - the tracker just showed you where it was at the moment you opened the app. No info on its current speed/direction. No geofencing. Nothing.

And the app itself was clunky and ugly.

Haven't a clue! Don't have/use a mobile phone.

This is the blurb for mine if it helps:

Locate
Locate is a ground-breaking system with ‘jamming’ countermeasures providing the ultimate defence against vehicle theft. Locate combines VHF with GPS and GSM technology making this system far more resilient to this form of attack. Crucially, if there is any attempt to jam the communication system, our VHF technology will ensure your vehicle can still be tracked by the police to its exact location. TRACKER Locate offers an easy-to-use app. Locate offers additional features via the Tracker Touch app - features such a geofence alert, system heath check and vehicle battery health.

• 4-way location tracking with our military-grade patented VHF and unique MESH technology; also incorporates GPS and GSM location tracking allowing the police to track stolen assets even when concealed in metal containers, lock-ups or underground car park
  • Unique tracking that is not affected by criminals’ GPS/GSM signal jammers
  • Motion sensor to detect unauthorised movement
  • Vehicle battery disconnect alert
  • Nationwide support from all UK police forces
  • 24/7 monitoring via Secure Operating Centre
  • Europe-wide coverage
  • Access to Tracker Touch app

After quite a bit of research I went with SmarTrack - Protector Pro Global

Appealing as there was a 'one off ' fee option instead of recurring annual subscriptions.

S7 insurance accredited.

Ideal if, like me, you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time...

The definitely do lifetime/duration subscriptions - I have a Cat 5 one on my car monitored via them and went for this option - £599 covering as long as I own the vehicle. Very pleased with the app and monitoring - had a "tag not present" call at 6.15am today from them circa 2 minutes after I set off in my car to drop my son off for a school trip.

I've got a SmarTrack - Protector Pro Global too, as Davenjo says, they definitely do lifetime as I've got one!

They offered a range of subscriptions.

12.49 per month
149 for the year
399 for the lifetime of the vehicle ownership (non-transferable)

I was also told you could set up the initial 12.49 per month then you have 12 months to swap to the 399 lifetime option... The 12.49's you have paid are deducted off the 399.

So you could pay 10 months of 12.49 then ring up and ask for the lifetime option and pay the balance of 274.10

I did pay 200 for the unit and installation.

FYI - to nobody in particular :)

Webasto now offer a tracking capability with their heating set-up - called Thermo Connect. More details below.

My ThermoConnect

View attachment 60610
Is this designed for the winter months when you are camping and head to the pub for the day then forget where you parked. Thinking about it, it could be handy in the summer months too! ;)

seriously though, does this mean if I invest in the smart control tracking is included as a freebie?

£12, works perfectly, no fees and the original PAYG card is now a year old - I've never topped it up. Thread: Tracker?

Is this designed for the winter months when you are camping and head to the pub for the day then forget where you parked. Thinking about it, it could be handy in the summer months too! ;)

seriously though, does this mean if I invest in the smart control tracking is included as a freebie?
Free for first year then £35ish a year for the sim contract... :)

£12, works perfectly, no fees and the original PAYG card is now a year old - I've never topped it up. Thread: Tracker?

A good idea if you don't need an insurance accredited one...

Because i had to insure the van for north of 55k the insurance company requested an S7 or S5 category tracker... rather than an 11.99 one off ebay china....

I believe one of the reasons is that any sophisticated team of car thieves with the correct 'scanner' can detect the cheaper tracking units within minutes.... Some of the better units have frequency jammers which make them harder to detect and will slow the thieves down... They also work in the bottom of underground car parks so your car can't be hidden... etc...

The newer S5 units now work on facial recognition and you can remotely disable your car using a phone app...

Let's hope we never have to find out, just how good they are...!

Hi All, just to give another view on this topic. I was considering getting a tracker fitted, however, after much research , costing etc, I decided to get a Ghost fitted. Plus apparently after March 01st, insurance companies are accepting them. With a Ghost your van cannot be stolen, unless they use a crane and a low loader. The fitted cost is £400 and no annual subscription. With a tracker the van can still be stolen and a lot of damage can be done in a short period. Just another option.

Hi All, just to give another view on this topic. I was considering getting a tracker fitted, however, after much research , costing etc, I decided to get a Ghost fitted. Plus apparently after March 01st, insurance companies are accepting them. With a Ghost your van cannot be stolen, unless they use a crane and a low loader. The fitted cost is £400 and no annual subscription. With a tracker the van can still be stolen and a lot of damage can be done in a short period. Just another option.

Good shout @David Whitley :thumbsup:

I have Ghost 2 installed as well, although my insurance company (admiral) had never heard of it, but thought it was a good idea...

They eventually found a way around Ghost 1, hence Ghost 2....

As with everything, if someone wants it enough and they're a crack outfit of car thieves then it can be stolen.... all we can do is our best to make it as difficult as possible... :thumbsup:

I was shown pictures a few weeks ago of a golf that had ghost fitted. They couldn’t take the car . So they completely stripped out the dash and done £7k damage . Scum will always find a way!

Back