Trackers Recommemded

bullracing

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a TKstar TK905 I use on my quad. its perfect for a non permanent solution and can be used as a pay n go or monthly, you choose a sim only plan to suit you. I pay £6 I think a month. Battery lasts over 4 months per charge and if there is a knock (you set sensitivity) it texts/rings/emails (you set). Over speed or out of a specific area it lets you know and is a live tracker. I will certainly get another. Mine has taken some abuse and still spot on.

Davenjo

VIP Member
T6 Legend
How do you find it? I've got one and it's rubbish. No stats, no moving icon if that van is in motion - and apparently, if I ever do report it as stolen, it'll disappear off my map.
Globaltelemetrics are the company that does the monitoring for some of the trackers rather than the actual tracker. I have a SmartTrack in another vehicle monitored via them - seems to work very well - they upgraded the app a couple of months ago and it now seems a lot quicker and includes direction/speed of travel. Phone/text alerts come in pretty quick if the vehicle is moved without the tag present.

JasonW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
After quite a bit of research I went with SmarTrack - Protector Pro Global

Appealing as there was a 'one off ' fee option instead of recurring annual subscriptions.

S7 insurance accredited.

Ideal if, like me, you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time...

Davenjo

VIP Member
T6 Legend

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
The definitely do lifetime/duration subscriptions - I have a Cat 5 one on my car monitored via them and went for this option - £599 covering as long as I own the vehicle. Very pleased with the app and monitoring - had a "tag not present" call at 6.15am today from them circa 2 minutes after I set off in my car to drop my son off for a school trip.
I've got a SmarTrack - Protector Pro Global too, as Davenjo says, they definitely do lifetime as I've got one!

JasonW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
They offered a range of subscriptions.

12.49 per month
149 for the year
399 for the lifetime of the vehicle ownership (non-transferable)

I was also told you could set up the initial 12.49 per month then you have 12 months to swap to the 399 lifetime option... The 12.49's you have paid are deducted off the 399.

So you could pay 10 months of 12.49 then ring up and ask for the lifetime option and pay the balance of 274.10

I did pay 200 for the unit and installation.

cgtmiles

VIP Member
T6 Legend
FYI - to nobody in particular :)

Webasto now offer a tracking capability with their heating set-up - called Thermo Connect. More details below.

My ThermoConnect

View attachment 60610
Is this designed for the winter months when you are camping and head to the pub for the day then forget where you parked. Thinking about it, it could be handy in the summer months too! ;)

seriously though, does this mean if I invest in the smart control tracking is included as a freebie?

Phil_G

VIP Member
T6 Guru
£12, works perfectly, no fees and the original PAYG card is now a year old - I've never topped it up. Thread: Tracker?

czmate1999

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Is this designed for the winter months when you are camping and head to the pub for the day then forget where you parked. Thinking about it, it could be handy in the summer months too! ;)

seriously though, does this mean if I invest in the smart control tracking is included as a freebie?
Free for first year then £35ish a year for the sim contract... :)

JasonW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
£12, works perfectly, no fees and the original PAYG card is now a year old - I've never topped it up. Thread: Tracker?
A good idea if you don't need an insurance accredited one...

Because i had to insure the van for north of 55k the insurance company requested an S7 or S5 category tracker... rather than an 11.99 one off ebay china....

I believe one of the reasons is that any sophisticated team of car thieves with the correct 'scanner' can detect the cheaper tracking units within minutes.... Some of the better units have frequency jammers which make them harder to detect and will slow the thieves down... They also work in the bottom of underground car parks so your car can't be hidden... etc...

The newer S5 units now work on facial recognition and you can remotely disable your car using a phone app...

Let's hope we never have to find out, just how good they are...!

Hi All, just to give another view on this topic. I was considering getting a tracker fitted, however, after much research , costing etc, I decided to get a Ghost fitted. Plus apparently after March 01st, insurance companies are accepting them. With a Ghost your van cannot be stolen, unless they use a crane and a low loader. The fitted cost is £400 and no annual subscription. With a tracker the van can still be stolen and a lot of damage can be done in a short period. Just another option.