Tracing previous keeper

T6Louis

Hello,
Could anyone offer me any advice on how to track the previous owner/keeper of a vehicle?
Thanks

I take it you don’t have any service history with their details showing, like invoices (dealers should redact these as per DPA/GDPR but don’t always)?
I doubt DVLA will be forthcoming, so in absence of the above then perhaps a photo of the van + VRM and location will be your best effort

I take it you don’t have any service history with their details showing, like invoices (dealers should redact these as per DPA/GDPR but don’t always)?
I doubt DVLA will be forthcoming, so in absence of the above then perhaps a photo of the van + VRM and location will be your best effort
hey,
We have some printed service history but no previous keeper details.
I’ll try what you’ve mentioned, thanks

You can apply to the DVLA, it’s a V888 form, not guaranteed to get the info but it’s worth a shot.

I would have thought the dealer would have the old V5 on file
Pretty sure it wouldn't be lawful for the dealer to share that info, besides which, if the OP is wanting to contact the previous keeper in order for them to gainsay the dealer, then, the law aside, I wouldn't expect the dealer to be overly cooperative.

One of my V5 I am sure has previous keeper name and address on it..... Would need to check but was from dealer. Maybe nissan different but doubt it ..... I'd be posting pic of van here with reg on it.... Small world after all! Makes me remember about a car my dad bought. Immaculate. When he got it home my auntie recognised it. Had belonged to a guy that smoked around 60 fags a day and had 3 dogs! Amazing what a valet can do!

Pretty sure it wouldn't be lawful for the dealer to share that info, besides which, if the OP is wanting to contact the previous keeper in order for them to gainsay the dealer, then, the law aside, I wouldn't expect the dealer to be overly cooperative.
Exactly, there are anything but co operative

Exactly, there are anything but co operative
Good, that’s reassuring I wouldn’t want a dealer handing out my personal details either.
You could try posting the van details on here, it was only a few weeks ago that somebody mentioned offloading a pile of crap on to a dealer.

I think you're wasting your time to be honest, focus your efforts on getting the dealer you bought from to get the issues sorted.

Pre GDPR V5s used to detail the previous keepers details.

Have you tried googling the registration?

As GDPR only applies to personal data, it would be worth contacting a VW Commercial dealership as they may be able to confirm some of the van’s service history as VAG vehicles service details are recorded on a central database. You won’t be able to get any information that identifies previous owners though.

Back