TPMS - how it works

huw169

Black 199 Shuttle
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all
Had a read through the other posts on this, but doesn't answer my questions.

I can see that the new T6.1 appears to have a 'direct TPMS' so needs the sensors in the wheels, but the T6 is monitored off the ABS.
I'm picking up a T6 Jan 2019 model in a week or so, and keen to change the wheels.

My question:-
When using the ABS monitor system, do the front and rear tyres need to be same rolling diameter? Will the ABS monitoring system care if I have bigger diameter on rear that will both be running less rotations than the fronts, marginally...?
Mine is not a 4motion, and I quite like the 'raked' look, so usually run a bigger diameter on the rear of my older van. Also helps a little with comfort.

Many thanks

Hi all

I can see that the new T6.1 appears to have a 'direct TPMS' so needs the sensors in the wheels, but the T6 is monitored off the ABS.
I'm picking up a T6 Jan 2019 model in a week or so, and keen to change the wheels.

When using the ABS monitor system, do the front and rear tyres need to be same rolling diameter? Will the ABS monitoring system care if I have bigger diameter on rear that will both be running less rotations than the fronts, marginally...?
Mine is not a 4motion, and I quite like the 'raked' look, so usually run a bigger diameter on the rear of my older van. Also helps a little with comfort.

Many thanks
It will make no difference @huw169. The system will store the rotational speed of each wheel when you press the button and monitor for any changes. You could fit 16's on the front and 20's on the back it won't cause any issue with TPMS :thumbsup:

Hi all

Many thanks

Hi Huw,

Not sure about the Transporter variants but for the Caravelle direct TPMS is a cost option with the indirect version you mentioned being standard. Might be worth checking you're definitely getting what you're looking for when you browse/order.

@Deaky That is what I suspected, but great to hear it confirmed. Thank you
@ScottyMac This doesn't even have parking sensors or cruise, so i'd be very surprised if they went with direct TPMS as an option. But thanks for the heads-up, and I will check.

Good question, I'd like that question answered also, I've the monitor displayed on the infotainment screen so I'm assuming it's there!!

Dash threw an error about 5 miles after fitting new wheels. Went through reset procedure, and all good since. :thumbsup:

My T6.1 has come with the optional direct TPMS. I have upgraded the wheels and tyres and got the TPMS valves put in the new hubs and all working perfectly. The only issue I have is that I would like to run lower tire pressures than the standard tires as I've got 245/65/17 BFGs fitted. I can't see any way to set the desired tire pressure for the direct TPMS system. You can select from a couple of factory standard wheel and tire options but no way of adding a custom option or specific tire pressure.

Does anyone know if it's possible to add custom tire options or pressures using VCDS or similar?

My T6.1 has come with the optional direct TPMS. I have upgraded the wheels and tyres and got the TPMS valves put in the new hubs and all working perfectly. The only issue I have is that I would like to run lower tire pressures than the standard tires as I've got 245/65/17 BFGs fitted. I can't see any way to set the desired tire pressure for the direct TPMS system. You can select from a couple of factory standard wheel and tire options but no way of adding a custom option or specific tire pressure.

Does anyone know if it's possible to add custom tire options or pressures using VCDS or similar?
A custom xml file can be flashed to the TPMS module using ODIS or VCP but you can't do it with VCDS

It will make no difference @huw169. The system will store the rotational speed of each wheel when you press the button and monitor for any changes. You could fit 16's on the front and 20's on the back it won't cause any issue with TPMS :thumbsup:
This is interesting. I have never tried different tyre sizes on my T6
but I have on T5.1 and Sharan 7N and effectively I wasn't able to reset my indirect(ABS based) TPMS.
The warning was coming back ON quite quickly after each reset.
The only solution was to keep all 4 wheels with exactly the same size tyres
and therefore maintaining the same external diameter.

Reactions: mmi
If I order new wheels, do I need to add TPMS or do I just fit new wheels / tyres to van and then reset TPMS via onboard computer?
(Factory T6 Kombi)

If you have TPMS valves, does the van sense them or does it rely on wheel rotation?

If you have TPMS valves, does the van sense them or does it rely on wheel rotation?
If you have the TPMS valves the van senses them and you need new valves or to swap the ones off the take off wheels.

I’m baffled now! I have a set of Tpms valves….do I need to use them or not?

Back