Towing in europe

All the above refer to towing with a car or motor home!! Is there laws for towing a caravan with a van, I can't find any info or is it same as UK laws

@Rick from what I have been able to ascertain a LCV is treated as a car and, apart from the Maximum Train Weight issues, then the speed limitations for a car and caravan obtain. Note the UK limit of 60mph should NOY be exceeded on motorways as in the event of an accident above this speed your insurers will almost certainly become difficult. I take it that your an experienced caravans in all other respect such as nose-weights and load distribution so I'll just wish you safe trvels. :):thumbsup:

Last edited:
@Rick from what I have been able to ascertain a LCV is treated as a car and, apart from the Maximum Train Weight issues, then the speed limitations for a car and caravan obtain. Note the UK limit of 60mph should NOY be exceeded on motorways as in the event of an accident above this speed your insurers will almost certainly become difficult. I take it that your an experienced caravans in all other respect such as playwrights and load distribution so I'll just wish you safe trvels. :):thumbsup:
Seems to me that it's same as a car the only other thing I've found is to have 80 and 90 speed stickers on the back of caravan so all good

@Rick from what I have been able to ascertain a LCV is treated as a car and, apart from the Maximum Train Weight issues, then the speed limitations for a car and caravan obtain. Note the UK limit of 60mph should NOY be exceeded on motorways as in the event of an accident above this speed your insurers will almost certainly become difficult. I take it that your an experienced caravans in all other respect such as playwrights and load distribution so I'll just wish you safe trvels. :):thumbsup:
Been towing 25 years with cars,ford galaxy recently so bought o kombi t32 150 dsg for pulling caravan so wife can have a4 cabriolet

@Rick that's a good idea as it will show les flics that you wish to conform and warn other drivers that you will not be "pushed" to exceed them. My best tow was in Germany of 400 miles in 10 hours after breakfast and included lunch, tea, refuelling and rest breaks yet all within limits. It was very pleasant cruising along the inside lane :whistle: letting all the racers tire themselves out in the other lanes. Happy Days :D:whistle:

Our longest trip was lake Garda via Switzerland though Gottard tunnel 2 days driving from Stockport great holiday

Back