Towbar which one to go for?

andythom188

Electrician
T6 Legend
i need to fit a detachable towbar to the kombi I'm mechanically minded so can fit myself if needed but hate vehicle electrics even though I am a electrician :eek: what has every body gone for ?
Have seen Towbars on eBay but not sure if they are any good and been reading about the electrics have to be coded in

Just looked on there website they are Mobil thought they were static based worth concidering

Last edited:
image.png If I bought the westfalia towbar like this one fitted it myself how hard is it to wire it in and get it coded , trying to save £ for extra mods ;)

Looking at that one it does not come with specific wiring merely the universal version. When I updated the one on my touareg the instructions were really good but did entail removing lots of panels and a need for a specific tool for unpicking some wires. As for coding anybody with vcds will be able to do it, if you were closer I would have coded it for free.

I have the westfalia detachable towbar, the mechanical bit is similar to any other towbar
The vehicle specific kit runs from towbar underneath van and comes up through floor under passenger seat, the main control unit lives under the seat but a couple wires run on to underneath the dash and not 100% exactly where they go.what they connect too

Looking at that one it does not come with specific wiring merely the universal version. When I updated the one on my touareg the instructions were really good but did entail removing lots of panels and a need for a specific tool for unpicking some wires. As for coding anybody with vcds will be able to do it, if you were closer I would have coded it for free.
Think I might just do some phoning around on Monday get some prices for supply and fit might just be less of a headache ha

Other option is give westfalia a call. They will supply to individuals and are really helpful. From a coding perspective if it is a westfalia kit it is merely ticking a box to show it is fitted. Merely my view but do not fit a bypass box. Get the right kit for the van

Other option is give westfalia a call. They will supply to individuals and are really helpful. From a coding perspective if it is a westfalia kit it is merely ticking a box to show it is fitted. Merely my view but do not fit a bypass box. Get the right kit for the van
I've just been looking on westfalia website it's my first call on Monday morning don't fancy the bypass box it's got to be done right stevefrs

Hi, I fitted a tow trust detachable with non oe electrics and really easy to fit and great tow bar, I work for manufacturer but the price difference outways the benefit plus I fitted with my master technician so I know it's right

For reference i paid just under 600 inc vat for OEM westfalia detachable retro fitted

Do you have information on where you got this done? I got quoted £540 + VAT from the Westfalia fitting centre in Bristol, so was hoping for somewhere that can do it on a weekend or mobile.

Ta

I got mine done locally at Tamar Towing Centre the place my main dealer sends them to be done in Plymouth cost £457.50 + vat = 549 inc
They are not mobile dropped of in the morning picked up in the afternoon

Local firm to me 20miles away quoted me A Westfalia Detachable Towbar with Single Dedicated Electrics £425.00 + vat, fitted & download inc

Thats a good price, about as cheap as its going to get from a proper firm

I got mine done locally at Tamar Towing Centre the place my main dealer sends them to be done in Plymouth cost £457.50 + vat = 549 inc
They are not mobile dropped of in the morning picked up in the afternoon

Thanks Pauly, all booked in at Tamar Towing Centre. Detachable Westfalia, 7 pin dedicated electrics and coded to the van for only £490 inc VAT.

Back