Towbar swap

Merv555

T6 Pro
I have got a factory fitted towbar with fixed ball neck, I will not be using it much if at all, and all I do is crack my shins on it.Can I change the frame work over to a detachable ball neck and leave all the wiring in place? It has Westfalia-Automotive printed on the plate.

Hi, yes I can not see why you can't change the the towbar from fixed swan neck to a detachable, you will have to unbolt existing and fit new detachable bar which is available as a separate part, existing OEM electrics would remain in place (all I would say is I am unable to say 100% the electrics will reach the socket bracket on towbar as I have never changed one like this before, however you would be very unlucky if the OEM electrics did not reach as it is the same Towbar in theory.

My advice would be to go on the Westfalia website and search for the nearest Westfalia dealer local to you, they could order a bar in for you and might be open to sending it back (you might have to pay carriage costs worst case scenario to send back) if it did not fit with existing OEM electrics (in my opinion it should work though, let us know how you get on)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info.
I have ordered one from PF Jones and will get my local garage to fit it next week.
I will let you know how they get on.

My local garage dropped out the fixed bar and replaced it with the detachable one and everything fitted perfect,electrics just unclipped and snapped back into place on the new bar. Swan neck now sits in the back behind the jack, brilliant no more bruised shins. Fixed swan neck towbar for sale!

Back