Towbar Preparation Question

Haveagoharry

Hi,

I am specking my T6 and have opted for the towbar prep.

I am a little confused as to exactly what VW provide here and wondered if anyone has specified this on a new build before and can clarify please?

In addition to the actual mounting points for the towbar and coding, I am confused if VW also include any preparation for the electrical wiring of the towbar?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

The mounting points will be there whether the van has towbar prep or not. What you get is the towing module, fuses, coding and cable running to the back of the van ready to connect the towing electrics to.

I could be wrong but even if you spec tow bar prep once fitted it still needs coding ?

I could be wrong but even if you spec tow bar prep once fitted it still needs coding ?
Nope, the module is fitted by the factory and is already coded to the vehicle

I think I paid about £240 for my towbar electrics which are integrated, so you won't save much having the prep.

There are 2 types of retro fit towbar wiring kits. One that connects to the rear lights only (cheap) and one which is integrated. The later works with the stability control, parking assist and rear camera etc and needs coding. Price didn't include fitting and coding, but it's easy to do in an evening.

They go hand in hand, ACC is brilliant for towing

They may well do in some peoples views, but not mine. If I could only afford one option i.e. ACC or tow bar the tow bar would win every day and have the standard CC. as said we are all different.
I specced CC on my Caddy and never use it, I very rarely use on the Cali either. I may be old and old fashioned but I like to be in full control.
The tow bar is also useful for a bike rack, then you can have a rear spoiler.

I think I paid about £240 for my towbar electrics which are integrated, so you won't save much having the prep.

There are 2 types of retro fit towbar wiring kits. One that connects to the rear lights only (cheap) and one which is integrated. The later works with the stability control, parking assist and rear camera etc and needs coding. Price didn't include fitting and coding, but it's easy to do in an evening.

Hi Littleblackflash whats does fitting this involve? can you share where you got it from too? Cheers

Nope, the module is fitted by the factory and is already coded to the vehicle

I think you have answered my question already but am looking at fitting a towbar to my 2018 Kombi which has towbar prep.

So is it as simple as plugging the towbar wiring into the factory fitted plug(s) and all the lights will just work?

If this is the case I will fit it myself, if I have to get it coded then I might let someone else do it....

Yes it should be plug and play on the electrics side but you will obviously still need to remove the rear bumper to physically for it

It’s not quite plug and play. You have to remove the pins out of the plug on the PDC module at the rear of the van and fit them back into a new plug along with others from the tow bar electrics. Simple to do if you have the right tool.

Ah, so not quite so simple, where can I get information about which pins and the location of the PDC module?

Would they come with the loom?

Back