Towbar option

Cryne2

has everyone gone for the full vw wiring loom for the westfalia or the cheaper option which isn’t coded.
What’s the differences please.
Had just a standard fixed on my last t5 which wasn’t coded and was fine.

Going on a T6 Kombi to pull a caravan.
Cheers

The dedicated wiring loom will tell the van that there's a trailer attached. The rear parking sensors are disabled (if fitted) the rear fog lights are turned off in favour of the trailer (on 13pin) and the stability control is altered. It's a no brainer IMO.

Has anyone fitted the Westfalia and dedicated wiring kit them selves, is it a straightforward job? Is it a "plug and play" type affair under the passenger seat? Some experience from a senior T6'er would be grateful as I'm in the same boat as @Cryne2 but only for a small trailer or bike rack on a towball.

I fitted a dedicated loom to my old T5. It was fairly straight forward. You had to find a wire under the seat, cut it, and connect the ends to the loom. From memory the hardest part was running the loom from the back to the front of the van underneath.

Westfalia loom runs underneath and into passenger base where it interrupts one of the multipin plugs but then there are a few more wires than go on to dash for extra brake wire and pickup a canbus feed at the BCM so although the ends are pre terminated its not quite plug and play as you have to withdraw a couple pins from one of the BCM connectors
It will require coding after install

The dedicated wiring loom will tell the van that there's a trailer attached. The rear parking sensors are disabled (if fitted) the rear fog lights are turned off in favour of the trailer (on 13pin) and the stability control is altered. It's a no brainer IMO.

I believe the alarm system also monitors the trailer, ie. if someone was to disconnect your trailer plug while the van is locked up the alarm will trigger.

Correct alarm will sound and reverse sensor shows that a trailer is attached.

I've fitted the westfalia loom. Instructions are awful so you will require help via the forum. As Pauly mentioned there are a few wires to sort out on the bcm but overall once you have the correct kit it's not to bad. I'd set aside a day just to make sure it's a proper job.

That message may make the job sound rather daunting. It's isn't too bad. When I'm in front of the laptop I shall put the instructions up on here so that you can get an idea of the job required.

Mine was fitted at factory, when reverse is selected, it shows a diagram with a trailer attached.... if only it told you which wat the trailer was swinging

20171103_063535.jpg
20171103_063547.jpg
20171103_063559.jpg
20171103_063611.jpg
Sorry it's such a primitive form of adding it up but I hope you can read it ok.

If you havnt already got one you will need a fuse box under the passenger seat, this bit confused me for ages. It's an extra part about £25 but Pauly can help. Also it's not obvious what fuse to go for but I can check if you do go ahead with it.

Just a couple notes to the above posts

There are two wiring kits, the one above is the VW sourced (Westfalia) one that runs internally the non VW sourced Westfalia one comes with a tougher flex and runs underneath the vehicle and up through floor under passenger seat

There are two variations of the foam bumper support insert depending on vehicle type, PVs use two small foam stick down strips to support the bumper (as above) but anything with Windows behind drivers seat uses a full length foam piece to support the bumper that requires eight little plastic pop clips to support the bumper

If you need any help feel free to get in touch I have both types of bumper support and the additional fusebox for under passenger seat in stock of required

Hi Pauly, do you have diagrams and part numbers of the two foam support options. I’m just curious as I fitted the two part option to my kombi as I wasn’t aware of the other option.
My tow bar was fitted by my local VW dealer and they didn’t fit any foam supports, so it appears to me there is a general lack information even at dealers. Just makes you wonder how expert the experts are!!

Just installed a detachable Westfaila towbar myself as mentioned by @Ed Webb the instructions are not good but after some head scratching managed to work it all out photos attached are the foam pieces you need to support the bumper very expensive for what you get! I've got some more photos of the install ill post up as well

FFF7491C-96F2-46BD-B118-EC12D8DC6502.jpeg

8B837916-CFDC-4D43-827F-D0879A970D71.jpeg

Back