Towbar-mounted Bike Carrier

jason hodges

High guys, I have just come across this on social media...
A cycle carrier that clears the barn doors on the T4/T5&T6.

upload_2017-6-23_12-46-29.png

@jason hodges, sorry to be pedantic but that is a tailgate. Barn doors are the double doors that open from the middle. That aside, Welcome to the Forum where you will find lots of lovely people with a wealth of knowledge that they are ready to pass on if asked. Do have a good look around the Discussion areas and their indices as you will find a lot of topics are covered and you can do some fact finding there. Do join in and please forgive the opening which is for clarification as I too wasn't aware of the terminology of rear doors when I joined either.

@jason hodges, sorry to be pedantic but that is a tailgate. Barn doors are the double doors that open from the middle. That aside, Welcome to the Forum where you will find lots of lovely people with a wealth of knowledge that they are ready to pass on if asked. Do have a good look around the Discussion areas and their indices as you will find a lot of topics are covered and you can do some fact finding there. Do join in and please forgive the opening which is for clarification as I too wasn't aware of the terminology of rear doors when I joined either.
Daves Dad, thanks for pointing out that mistake...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Thule and it won't clear tail gate when tilted
I think there is one call strada that will clear when tilted

I have the thule 929 and it allows the tailgate to be opened when the rack is tilted, its reasonably close so i think it may depend on what towbar mount you have as they do not all sit in the same position

I have the thule 929 and it allows the tailgate to be opened when the rack is tilted, its reasonably close so i think it may depend on what towbar mount you have as they do not all sit in the same position
Mine is a Thule velo compact 3 bike ,the door hits the rack when tilted ,even with no bikes on ,factory tow bar

Weird mines a 3 bike also with the option accessory to add a fourth
I have a retro fitted Westfalia detachable towbar which I'm sure is identical to as it would have left the factory with if specced

Mine is called compact ,but that only means the tyre racks and lights fold in to make it easy to get in your boot or for storing away .
The altea strada dl3 slides out of the way ,wish I had seen that before I got the tule

After having spent the weekend away in the van with the Mrs we have concluded we need more space! Mainly for paddling kit and the wet bits, does anyone know if the Easy Base will tilt enough to still open the tailgate on a OEM tow bar?
Thule Easy Base 949 - 949

After having spent the weekend away in the van with the Mrs we have concluded we need more space! Mainly for paddling kit and the wet bits, does anyone know if the Easy Base will tilt enough to still open the tailgate on a OEM tow bar?
Dose it tilt ,I can't see that on the write up .You might be best contacting the supplier and asking them

We have the Thule Easy Base.
I had to cut down the upright supports x2 just above the tightening wheels thread to allow the tailgate to open whilst still attached. Hope that made sense !

IMG_3859.JPG

No the base is fixed.
The vertical support bar can be released and moved towards the rear of the base when the base is EMPTY ONLY !
I cut down the vertical support bar so it can be left attached so the tailgate can be opened without removing the Easy Base completely.

No the base is fixed.
The vertical support bar can be released and moved towards the rear of the base when the base is EMPTY ONLY !
I cut down the vertical support bar so it can be left attached so the tailgate can be opened without removing the Easy Base completely.

Ahh I see, so once the box is on there theres no chance of the tailgate opening at all. Not really much use for me then :-( Thanks for the help though.

Does anyone know if there is a box that goes on the 929?

Back