Towbar electrics.

MACC

VIP Member
Hi All, after a little help. I'm in the process of fitting the loom for towbar. The instructions show the loom entering through the floor under the passenger seat, but the Ad Blue tank is there and I cannot see a way over it, am I missing something? Also where the loom enters the cab below the brake reservoir, show a grommet to remove but there is nothing there???

If you have the PF Jones loom then the under seat part is potentially unnecessary. Check what rotary switch you have and you may see that the wires that come inside are simply connected together.
Re. the grommet, it is there but well hidden!

If you have the PF Jones loom then the under seat part is potentially unnecessary. Check what rotary switch you have and you may see that the wires that come inside are simply connected together.
Re. the grommet, it is there but well hidden!
Your a star! option 2 light switch so the cables are just looped. As for the grommet I'll keep looking. Many Thanks, Mark.

I have the same issue...........Couple of Q.s

1. How do you remove the rotary light switch. I cant see what the PFJones instructions is trying to show and i dont want to force it

2. it looks tricky/impossible to scotch onto the cables in the pedal box....Can the plus be unplugged to get more access?

3. If I unplug the main battery will it reset itself or will it need setting up in VCDS as a new battery ?

sorry to jump in

3. Not that I know of, you can unplug the battery
2. It was a bit of a faff here too, but managed without unplugging anything else
1. There's some bits on the internet to find about it. I believe push-turn-pull (although here it doesn't really seem to work)

thanks got that about the switch great help ! yes it was switch to off and push turn and pull and it came out.

Now i cant find the grommet either !!!.......... is it behind some heat shield?

thanks got that about the switch great help ! yes it was switch to off and push turn and pull and it came out.

The grommet is located in the wiper scuttle area and can be accessed via the removable panel above and to the left of the brake reservoir. Be careful not to drop the bolts as the tend to get Lost in the engine bay.

I managed to identify the switch type without removing it. I never did find the grommet! I removed the supplied grommet and right at the top of the bulkhead, to the right (if in drivers seat) of the brake master cylinder there is multi point grommet in the bulkhead. I used one of the spare points in that, worked perfect.
The connections under the dash was a real faff, with the black and white plugs unplugged you can just manipulate it enough to get the cable. Mine didn't match colours on the instructions perfectly as they both had coloured tracers on the cable too. Towed at the weekend and all works perfectly.

Well good to know all was well towing. Thanks for the help. Did you need to use VCDS to program out the rear sensors or maybe no rear sensors ?...I’ll look at your solution in my van

Van
The grommet is located in the wiper scuttle area and can be accessed via the removable panel above and to the left of the brake reservoir. Be careful not to drop the bolts as the tend to get Lost in the engine bay.
Ok great. That’s nowhere near where the PFJames instructions show, thanks I’ll have a look tomorrow . The instructions show below RH of the master cylinder .

Well good to know all was well towing. Thanks for the help. Did you need to use VCDS to program out the rear sensors or maybe no rear sensors ?...I’ll look at your solution in my van
Haven't got to the coding yet, parking sensors go off but the button on the dash turns this and the rear camera off. I wanted to check on the actual towing first. Lane assist still works perfectly too. Next step is to figure out the VCDS, whether to pay someone or just get the equipment.

I went for the VCDS . Not used it much other than scans but it seems quite easy to use if you follow the instructions. I looked at second hand unrestricted VINs but older units will not run new vans so be carefull. I recommend buy new from Gendan. Nearly got caught out With an unlimited VINs second hand unit. I’ve got x3 VINs and scans do not knock down VINS . Only mods ...coding

Last edited:
The grommet was in where you said. no where near the westfalia/ pfjones instructions.

I found the grommet as specified in the instructions, though it was hidden behind some sound deadening foam and nearly impossible to get at - everything had to be done by touch. If I remember correctly, it was just to one side of the steering column.
it does sound like there is another, and maybe easier, possibility though.

If you're contemplating or have a 12v system inside the van then you don't necessarily need to go in the engine bay at all.
I ran the whole loom up through the grommet under the passenger seat and powered it from a switched feed that comes from the e box. That way I only have one or two dedicated cables to/from the e box under the battery rather than the having to bolt the rather unsightly cables onto the main battery which I think looks rather half baked. The BCM cables can be run under the mat in the central void to the dash.

FYI the BCM plugs can be unclipped to aid access to the cables although I did everything with the battery removed. It was out for about 4 days and only required the one touch windows to be reset after reconnection.
Definitely find someone with VCDS. It's so easy to code you'll regret paying a dealer for their time although in fairness the equipment is not cheap.
Re. The colour coding, there is a thread on here about this as one of the codes in the instructions is incorrect.

I found the grommet as specified in the instructions, though it was hidden behind some sound deadening foam and nearly impossible to get at - everything had to be done by touch. If I remember correctly, it was just to one side of the steering column.
it does sound like there is another, and maybe easier, possibility though.
I could really use some help, guys. Ran the wires to the rear bumper and I’m short. Trying to get some more slack by feeding more through from the battery end.

I cannot find this bloody grommet to get the wiring into the drivers side. Help?!

Have you tried looking from inside the cab? With the carpet/rubber mat pulled out of the way you should be able to look up into the scuttle area and see the grommet.

I have just done the pf Jones wiring loom
It is a fiddle I ran backwards from the towbar end
It’s easier if you can lift the van up because getting underneath there are plastic covers on everything
Under the passenger seat there’s a cover with electrics that already go through to the seat
the one under the steering wheel is behind the steering column I fed a wire through then tagged onto it with the loom to pull it through
The black and white connectors are tricky to get onto (especially if your not small)

I have just done the pf Jones wiring loom
It is a fiddle I ran backwards from the towbar end
It’s easier if you can lift the van up because getting underneath there are plastic covers on everything
Under the passenger seat there’s a cover with electrics that already go through to the seat
the one under the steering wheel is behind the steering column I fed a wire through then tagged onto it with the loom to pull it through
The black and white connectors are tricky to get onto (especially if your not small)

Thanks @DanPlumber and @The Bear78.

I've done it! ... well most of it. The sneaky b*****d grommet is behind padding on both sides! And yes, wiring into the canbus looms was super tough - almost wired into the decoy orange wires, until I found the right ones buried deep in the loom. Forgot to disconnect the battery until half-way done. Hope I don't regret that later.

I ran the tow bar wires right down the middle in the end, protected by the heat shield and the plastic covers. Now I have enough slack.

Killed myself crawling around under the van on the driveway. Lifting it up would have been amazing.

Can anyone confirm which wire on the black BCM I need to connect the black/red (on a PF Jones dedicated loom) into? There is a black/red there, but also black/red/yellow rings.

Attaching photos of that dredded grommet as well.

20210523_145628.jpg

20210523_145502.jpg

20210523_174736.jpg

Back