Towbar electrics fitting without TP

CALLAKN

Electrician / Linesman
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Usual problem, I look at the threads and nothing pinpoints to what I want the answer to be...

WHOS fitted the PFJones Detachable towbar PROPERLY and not just wairing into a light Loom at the rear.
my van hasn’t got towbar prep, is this something I can attempt myself and manage ??or is it a real b*****d and worth just paying someone to do it properly... I did do all the leisure electrics myself, and I am a sparky of some nature.. lol

me although it was a t5.1. yes it is do able at home, bcm wiring is tricky but possible. fitting the bar is very straight forward

me although it was a t5.1. yes it is do able at home, bcm wiring is tricky but possible. fitting the bar is very straight forward

yeah I can see the towbar is the easy bit... is it plug and play or do I need to solder bits...

No soldering required. Plug and play with some pins needing removing from bcm Connectors. Pin removal tools essential.

If you go westfalia electrics you'll need the additional kit if you want pin 10 to work, pf jones include this kit.

ECS does not require any additional kits for pin 10.

No soldering required. Plug and play with some pins needing removing from bcm Connectors. Pin removal tools essential.

If you go westfalia electrics you'll need the additional kit if you want pin 10 to work, pf jones include this kit.

ECS does not require any additional kits for pin 10.

Going to use it for bike rack, and maybe trailer in the future

I fitted the P F Jones kit recently on a T6 without towbar preparation. Running the wires into the van to pick up the can-bus wires is the worst part.
The fitting instructions are viewable on there website so you could decide if you wanted to tackle it yourself.
Who makes the pf jones kit? Is it right connections?

Installed the PFJones detachable towbar and loom on mine and agree that the only fiddly bit is the connection into the can bus by the steering column. Helps if you don't have fat fingers and make sure you pick out the right coloured calbles. Instructions were spot on. Everything else was straight forward. The only thing I didn't follow in the instructions was to bring the cable up under the passenger seat. It makes more sense when you see the instructions but I simply left it tied up under the van. I would say if you can do leisure electrics then the tow bar won't be a problem.

I got mine fitted, but the electricity was VERY badly done (quite amateuristic). Had to pull everything out and install a loom myself. Looking back at it I should have installed the whole thing myself anyway. It's definitely not difficult, normally there's clear instructions coming with it. I got mine from Brink.

Only if you have sensors you have to connect the car to a computer to change 2 settings (also quite easy but you have to know what to change and of course have to have a vcds cable...

Who makes the pf jones kit? Is it right connections?
Correct. If you go on towbardirect.co.uk website they sell the Right Connections kit and the fitting instructions they supply are identical to the P F Jones fitting instructions.

I agree that there’s also no need to bring the wires into the van under the seat on a T6, they can just be joined and taped to the loom under the van.

Correct. If you go on towbardirect.co.uk website they sell the Right Connections kit and the fitting instructions they supply are identical to the P F Jones fitting instructions.

I agree that there’s also no need to bring the wires into the van under the seat on a T6, they can just be joined and taped to the loom under the van.

Electrics do need to come up under the seat if you use a Westfalia or ECS kit. Right connections doesn't as the main box sits by battery I believe?

Don‘t know about the other as I’ve never fitted them but with the PF Jones/Right Connections kit they show in the instructions bringing 3 wires up under the seat. On the T6 I did there was no need to do this as the WT & GY/WT Just needed to be joined together and BK wire isn‘t used so is just taped up so this can be done without the bother of bringing them up under the seat and just be done under the van.
The rest of the wiring is done at the battery area other than the 2 wires that have to be connected to the can-bus wiring.

Do they bring it into the inside of the van so that connections are exposed to the elements?

Do they bring it into the inside of the van so that connections are exposed to the elements?
The instructions cover both a T5 and T6 so my guess is that you have to make the connections on a T5 but no need on a T6.
It would be your choice if you wanted to bring the wires inside or leave them on the outside. If you insulate the joined wires correctly I don’t see it being a problem not bringing them inside plus the wiring is also covered by the plastic covers on the underside of the van.

The instructions cover both a T5 and T6 so my guess is that you have to make the connections on a T5 but no need on a T6.
It would be your choice if you wanted to bring the wires inside or leave them on the outside. If you insulate the joined wires correctly I don’t see it being a problem not bringing them inside plus the wiring is also covered by the plastic covers on the underside of the van.
Westfalia and ecs need to come up under the seat on all transporters for fitting the module and obtaining power. Right connections doesn't as its all done by the battery.

I've fitted and coded a Westfalia tow bar with Rightconnections wiring to my T6 which was supplied by P F Jones. As others say the only fiddly bit is connections to the BCM wiring under the dash.
The wiring loom can be run well protected inside hollow sections of the chassis if you can use a bit of ingenuity otherwise it can run within the plastic shielded area quite easily. As I was also running wires that would follow the existing looms under the cab floor I used that routing from below the left front seat to the BCM ignoring the instructions to route through the under bonnet area.
As others have said it is well within anyone with DIY skills plus a good ability to safely connect into the existing electrics. You will need access to equipment to code the new unit into the vehicle electronics. There are lots of us around this forum who can help there.

I've fitted and coded a Westfalia tow bar with Rightconnections wiring to my T6 which was supplied by P F Jones. As others say the only fiddly bit is connections to the BCM wiring under the dash.
The wiring loom can be run well protected inside hollow sections of the chassis if you can use a bit of ingenuity otherwise it can run within the plastic shielded area quite easily. As I was also running wires that would follow the existing looms under the cab floor I used that routing from below the left front seat to the BCM ignoring the instructions to route through the under bonnet area.
As others have said it is well within anyone with DIY skills plus a good ability to safely connect into the existing electrics. You will need access to equipment to code the new unit into the vehicle electronics. There are lots of us around this forum who can help there.

perfect mate, yes I’ll need to borrow someone to code it for me !!

Can anyone clarify exactly what the coding does? Is it just to disable the reversing sensors and van fog lights when something is connected? Nothing else?
I’m thinking of fitting a towbar connector, but not the towbar itself as it’s only for a light board (for a Reimo Cate Carrier actually), and I’m not sure if I really need the full kit plus coding or not?

Back