Tow bar mounted ski carrier

Hello, I'm looking for a tow bar mounted ski carrier. I don't want a roof box as I'm small and it might interfere with the solar panel. Any recommendations? Also considering the Thule rear easy base and a box. While the skis would be too long for this, I could throw the boots and other junk in there. Maybe I could attach the skis to the outside of the box somehow?? What do you use! Thanks

I don’t believe there is anything dedicated for that purpose, though a simple bike carrier like this would probably work well:
92431539-E81B-4F0D-99E4-1884609A79B9.jpeg

E97C85CA-F16B-42A4-9AB9-7B960CEA5E26.jpeg

The rubber frame clamps would work well securing skis.
But of course if you are getting a Thule easy base & box it should be possible to mount a ski rack on the box?

The buzz rack was one of the options I am xonsidering. Do you have one? How have you found it?
I drive down to ski in Andorra most years to ski (one day I'll have good snow! lol) and usually use a roofbox which is ok but a slight pain in the ass. For my last trip I got one of these and used it when I was there. I was a bit braver on the way home and drove all the way home with it attached and it was spot on. Definitely great for driving around when you're there

I drive down to ski in Andorra most years to ski (one day I'll have good snow! lol) and usually use a roofbox which is ok but a slight pain in the ass. For my last trip I got one of these and used it when I was there. I was a bit braver on the way home and drove all the way home with it attached and it was spot on. Definitely great for driving around when you're there
Do you use anything to cover the skis whilst travelling. Just thinking about the damage gritting the roads causes to bikes....not sure what the French use on their roads.

Do you use anything to cover the skis whilst travelling. Just thinking about the damage gritting the roads causes to bikes....not sure what the French use on their roads.
I had a black canvas bag that usually has a 3mx3m pop up awning in it. I slipped that over the top and used pull straps around to tighten. Worked a treat. I don't have any pics Im afraid otherwise I would tag them.

Not rear mounted , but roof mounted. I use the Thule ski carrying thing every Jan when I haul my x country skis up to the Highlands and seem to miss the snow every time . I have a 100watt solar panel which it doesn’t really interfere with ( we camp wild for several days with fridge and heater to run). I’m a shortish 5ft 8 , but can reach it easily when standing on the sliding door step. Carries the skis solidly and they don’t get as sh*t up if carrying them on the rear. I tried a home made version with my tow bar mounted Thule bike rack one year. Roof rails are also useful for shifting other stuff during non ski activities. Skis on the rear were also a nuisance with a tailgate.

Not rear mounted , but roof mounted. I use the Thule ski carrying thing every Jan when I haul my x country skis up to the Highlands and seem to miss the snow every time . I have a 100watt solar panel which it doesn’t really interfere with ( we camp wild for several days with fridge and heater to run). I’m a shortish 5ft 8 , but can reach it easily when standing on the sliding door step. Carries the skis solidly and they don’t get as sh*t up if carrying them on the rear. I tried a home made version with my tow bar mounted Thule bike rack one year. Roof rails are also useful for shifting other stuff during non ski activities. Skis on the rear were also a nuisance with a tailgate.

I'm afraid I'm only 5ft 2. So i d need to carry ladders to get up there

Fair one. Have a look at @Dieseldonkey roof box that he fitted to a tow ball mount. He swears by it takes skis, boots the lot and all kept clean and dry. It’s on a thread somewhere here....

I've had a look at dieseldonkey. I think it's the ideal solution. A roof box is long enough for skis, holds loads of junk, being placed on a titled tow bar mounted rack allows for access to the tailgate and suitable for a smurf. Couldn't be more perfect. Thanks all for the suggestions....really helped me decide on the best option for me

Just resurrecting this thread- Looking at the Buzzrack- does it tilt far enough for a tailgate to lift OK?
Many thanks

Just thinking outside the box. What about the suction cup racks usually mounted on the roof or rear screens but attach them to the tailgate? Makes loading/unloading easier than a roof rack or box on a T6. Should allow the tailgate to work also whilst loaded apart from the weight of several skis/boards may overcome the struts. Just a thought.

The buzz rack was one of the options I am xonsidering. Do you have one? How have you found it?
I can fully recommend the Buzzrack. Used ours a lot on a Tesla. Happy at 100mph on the german Autobahn with 4 sets of skis. Will be even better out of the wind behind a T6.

I can fully recommend the Buzzrack. Used ours a lot on a Tesla. Happy at 100mph on the german Autobahn with 4 sets of skis. Will be even better out of the wind behind a T6.
Had a message back from Buzzrack- Apparently you can't open the tailgate with one of these....

Just thinking outside the box. What about the suction cup racks usually mounted on the roof or rear screens but attach them to the tailgate? Makes loading/unloading easier than a roof rack or box on a T6. Should allow the tailgate to work also whilst loaded apart from the weight of several skis/boards may overcome the struts. Just a thought.
Good idea- will look into it...

Back