PFJones Towbar fit

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Just so you're aware, the small component parts listed on the PFJones website as additional requirements for the Westfalia detachable towbar fitment. listed as washers etc;

From VW they are £50!!!! Think of this before you order!

My Towbar arrived this morning, I'll hopefully be fitting it on Sunday.

I'll take a picture of what my hard earned cash gets you tomorrow.

Cheers
Ollie.

Watching with interest - on the ‘to-do’ list. I’ll probably let PFJ do the electricery bits!

Ian

Recently had a quote from PF Jones for a detachable westfalia, electrics, coding and bumper beam... ~550 fitted

Think that is a picture of the bumper beam...

Will take as many photos as I can. Looks straightforward only the wiring may be the challenge.

The bar was already fitted on my T6 by the previous owner, but the electrics were not. I completed this using the PF Jones 7pin electric kit recently, I deviated from the instructions a fair bit tho!

They tell you to route a cable under the passenger seat, to then connect 2 wires together and do nothing with them - i removed this part of the loom and solder heatshrink the cables to negate the need to enter under the seat at all. Additionally i mounted the module under the dash in front of the BCM (instructions say to put it under the bonnet by the battery and run a feed of the battery) i chose to run a feed from the fusebox in the middle of the dash. Finally i didn't run the cable underneath the van at all, choosing to run it inside down the driver side, under the mat/by the step then in to the back behind the panels/carpet.

The instructions say to run wires to the BCM via the engine bay (assuming your fitting the module by the battery)...i never did find the grommet they say is close to the master cylinder in the bulkhead, however as i put the module close to the BCM it negated the need to have any 'aftermarket' wiring on show anywhere. i also didn't user the scotchlocks provided, i prefer to solder/heatshrink.

Good luck with the fitment!

Mine should be easier as it came with towbar prep so only connections at the rear to worry about.

@Stevefrs did you remove the large bumper insert and replace it with the very small one from VW? There are no clips for hanging the reversing sensors and how is that small edifice supposed to support the bumper?

Yes I removed the full bar. Reversing sensor wiring I cable tied where needed. Did you have towbar prep?
Did you fit the polystyrene packing pieces?
Drop me a message with your number and we can discuss.

26D28CB6-7BD1-48B4-8C6D-F03E6C1FE1F9.jpeg
Yes I removed the full bar. Reversing sensor wiring I cable tied where needed. Did you have towbar prep?
Did you fit the polystyrene packing pieces?
Drop me a message with your number and we can discuss.
Thanks Steve - no packing in with my kit from PFJones. No tower prep either, so I'm doing the whole lot!

Ok so did you buy the plastic parts from vw? If not your bumper will not be supported. There should be another piece which bolts on just below the door seal.

I used the westfalia kit from pfjones. I had towbar prep so it connects in the back of the van rather than running all the way to the front.

Ok so did you buy the plastic parts from vw? If not your bumper will not be supported. There should be another piece which bolts on just below the door seal.
Yes, bought that but it's very small and I think needs additional support to hold the bumper in place. I bought the full wiring can bus supported kit from PFJ, (not the one you need to splice in) there wasn't an option for Wesfalia wiring unless this is it.

View attachment 58033
Thanks Steve - no packing in with my kit from PFJones. No tower prep either, so I'm doing the whole lot!
I am guessing yours is a panel van hence
The existing 'crash bar' under the bumper gets removed as no longer needed.
You will need more parts from vw.
Top rail and 2 foam pads plus fittings..
The 'plastic rail' gets fitted and secured with 8 x screws and grommets, followed by the new tow bar then the two foam inserts on top each side of the new bar.
Is this what you bought should be wider than the towbar

Back