Torque Settings for sliding door

Neil_G

Hi

I've just discovered that the top roller part on my sliding door on my T6 California Beach is loose and rattling about!

Could anyone tell me what torque the two bolts holding the upper roller guide to the door should be torqued to?

The bolt in question is marked with the dot in the attached pic.

Many thanks

Neil

upper bolts.PNG

Wow, how did we manage without a torque wrench?

I wouldn't have a clue as I've never owned one.

I've worked on cars and their engines as a DIY owner doing everything from simple services to complete re-builds for almost fifty five years and never experienced any problems or adverse occurrences in all of that time! I've never stripped a thread or snapped a bolt or stud, it's all in the feel for the items and metals that you are working on.
Never quite understood a Nm but pound-foot is logical to me.

My supermarket has never sold anything in a unit of weight called a Newton as far as I am aware.

For those who want to compare these measurements...

1 newton-metre ≈ 0.73756215 pound-force-feet

and

One pound-foot = 1.35582 newton metres

Haha
when I had a Saturday job as a lad in garage down our back lane, the old boys who owned the business that serviced all sorts from metro's to Jenson Interceptors had their own measurements.

if they wanted something tightened a little it was "just nip it up" next up was "hand tight" then there was "you'll need a couple of hands on that one" often it was "you"ll need a small bar" then it was "ask Basil to lean on that for you" then it was "use the long bar" right up to "that needs to be fuc@ing tight, use that scaffold tube on the long bar".
measurements were similar; the smalest units were a "gnat's tadger" or "gnat's cockine" "a smidge" "a couple of fingers" etc.

these days with aluminium components etc, we need to be a bit more precise :)

Thanks for the replies, was a bit concerned about busting the inert in the door or the bolt head if I just jamed it up, knowing that not everything likes to be tightend to FT!

Back