Top Dash 12v cigar socket fuse locations [Updated]

Loz

Admin
VIP Member
Depending on what options you have and whether you have a factory second battery etc. the top dash fuse can be in different locations.

This first location is below the centre socket by the tray is highlighted below. The empty slot just below it is one of the Top Dash socket fuse locations.
IMG_4122.JPG

The second location is under the left-hand seat (passenger seat in the UK)
Top Dash fuse alt location.JPG

Top-dash-fuse-3rd location.png

California also has sockets in the roof, by the sink, C pillar and D pillar (boot). (sink and roof safe the same fuse)
Fuses-SH(ocean).png

The latest location discovered by @jimc91 is at the bottom of the left-hand holder.
1686575135321.png

Last edited:
Mine just has a blanking plug on the dash top. Will there be a plug / loom to connect a socket to or will I need a new special sub loom to wire one in?

Van is a poverty spec Startline and I love its simplicity :)

Mine just has a blanking plug on the dash top. Will there be a plug / loom to connect a socket to or will I need a new special sub loom to wire one in?

Van is a poverty spec Startline and I love its simplicity :)
unlikely

What's the best grounding point for retrofitting a socket on top of dash?

1. Any good point up by the top of the dash?
2. Are there any grounding points close to the fuse panel shown in the first picture of this thread?

Only solid earth points I've come across are above the steering column, which is kind of in the wrong direction and all the way down the center console, which seems a bit too far.
I'm guessing that tapping into any of the existing negative leads is a bad idea?

What's the best grounding point for retrofitting a socket on top of dash?

1. Any good point up by the top of the dash?
2. Are there any grounding points close to the fuse panel shown in the first picture of this thread?

Only solid earth points I've come across are above the steering column, which is kind of in the wrong direction and all the way down the center console, which seems a bit too far.
I'm guessing that tapping into any of the existing negative leads is a bad idea?

In the first location picture is the white thing next to 644 (top right) a fuse puller?
Is the far left fuse run where there is only a 20amp fuse a spare fuse holder?

In the first location picture is the white thing next to 644 (top right) a fuse puller?
Is the far left fuse run where there is only a 20amp fuse a spare fuse holder?
1. yes
2. other equipment, not socket fuse

There are metal connectors in the slot below my 15amp gear stick 12v socket, a fuse did not bring my top socket to life however. and i can see no debris in the socket. Can you advise anything to check or do you think I may need a replacement socket? Is a replacement socket a do-able DIY job?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Depending on what options you have and whether you have a factory second battery etc. the top dash fuse can be in different locations.

This first location is below the centre socket by the tray is highlighted below. The empty slot just below it is one of the Top Dash socket fuse locations.
View attachment 118353

The second location is under the left-hand seat (passenger seat in the UK)
View attachment 118351

View attachment 118352

California also has sockets in the roof, by the sink, C pillar and D pillar (boot). (sink and roof safe the same fuse)
View attachment 118354
Hi Loz
Thank you for this and my apologies for not coming back to you sooner
I have been away this past weekend at an event called the Hot Rod Hayride so no computer access and Im crap at using my phone so have had to wait until today to respond
I will have a look later and come back to you then

Thanks again

Paul

So I saved this on phone for no reason, on my to do list tomorrow always thought square fuse was top and standard was lower 12v socket. doh

Screenshot_20220731-104450_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just to add to this thread, the fuse for my top dash socket blew this weekend when my wife jammed a usb lead into the hole (don’t ask). Anyway checked the locations mentioned above but nothing was blown but I noticed the random single 20 amp fuse on its own on the left hand side was blown so changed that and all working again. My van is a highline panel van, not sure if the socket has been added as an after thought but it all looks original so maybe they put the fuses wherever they feel like

C01AFD59-6EB7-485B-80B5-5720632DBF25.jpeg

man i hope it is that fuse, my top sock has been bust for ages, spent a day trying to get the large body 20amp blue thing in on the right hand fuse lane, the realised i was using the small size which would never fit, big ones arrived, much easier to fit but still no top sock. had given up.
Finally took out the passenger seat and swivel, carpets etc expecting a 20 amp fuse under there, but there wasnt.
going trying that fuse out now.

fuse passengerside.jpg

Last edited:
can see the far far left strip, there is one location that has the metal fuse clamps inserted but i can't get a fuse in there, cant believe vw made accessing the fuses so god damn hard.

Last edited:
my left strip is full of fuses. dang.
Mine was to the very left 2nd from the bottom, your photo shows what I would call the centre fuses, you have to look down to the bottom of the fuse block, it was hard to get my hand in there

Just another thought- the fuse that was blown was the only fuse in that side, the far left side as I looked. I could see it was the only fuse location that had the metal pins you can see when a fuse is removed, maybe your fuse is just missing, look for any empty holders that have metal pins and try a fuse if you find one

yeah, i can see the (only) location with pins, 2nd up i think but cant get a fuse in there to test. i can see a wire exiting from the area too.
how did you access the fuse board, i thought i had small hands but they cant manipulate a fuse in.

is it a switched live or permanent live?

Last edited:
I stuck the fuse on the side of a pencil with some double sided tape and lowered it down and once lined up eased into the slot pushing behind the pencil, pita to do - it’s a permanent live I believe

The PITA this has been for me is indescribable. My Mrs has has also drove me mad with "it's just a socket,, who cares", "oh god your not doing that socket again are you, I've told you, no one cares, get over it". Well it's my socket, and now IT EFFING WORKS and if she thinks she is putting her effing usb cable in it she can FO.

Cheers for the post my bestest pal ever.

Mods, update your fuse diagram with this info please, top dash lighter socket fuse, second up on the far far left row of fuse holders, with no fuses in or a 20amp one.

I managed to get it in by supergluing a small crocodile clip onto a bit of wood.

Back