Top Compartment Dash

Discussion in 'General VW T6 Chat' started by Gaz10, 13 Feb 2020 at 17:31.

1. Gaz10

Gaz10 New Member

Hi all,

Quick question regarding top compartment on my 2019 Highline Dash. It has that ugly looking hole with the 12v socket.

I was wondering is the comfort dash lid and box compatible to replace it or is that a totally different dash needed ?

cheers

2. $immo

$immo Built not Bought VIP Member T6 Guru

There are a number of topics already on the area you are describing.
    Dash Top Thingy
    The search function is your friend. :thumbsup:

3. Gaz10

Gaz10 New Member

Cheers for the response. Have delved into old topics but cant really find what i am after.

4. Gaz10

Gaz10 New Member

I dug deeper on here and found the dash mod thread. Looking like a no go

5. Wills

Wills Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Van X have a speaker console currently available, which fits in the hole. There’s a cubbyhole version on the horizon, which has been delayed.

6. DXX

DXX Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

hoggle and cgtmiles like this.
  7. Ayjay

Ayjay Senior Member VIP Member T6 Pro

DXX - Sorry for being thick but it’s still a bit early for me. Where is the original post that you quoted from please?

8. Skyliner33

Skyliner33 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

If you click the up arrow after where it says DXX said it will take you to the original post.

9. Ayjay

Cheers - didn't know about the 'up' arrow!

DXX - I really would like to know where you got the parts for that hinged lid from (or did you make them all yourself before putting it all together?). It's exactly what I could do with for the same reasons as you! Can you give me more info please. Cheers in advance.

10. DXX

DXX Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Plastic hinge and sheet bought on ebay. I made it with hand tools, not entirely straight forward as there is no square edge to use as a reference.
    I’m an apprentice trained fitter & turner so I have plenty of hand crafting experience with this sort of thing. It’s a bonus if your vice is close to the van, mine wasn’t!
    Give it a go, the materials are cheap and if you balls it up its a learning curve, start again.
    You will need to remove some material on the existing trim strip to create a straight edge for the hinge attachment, this has to be done before making the cover.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2020 at 13:20
  11. Ayjay

Thanks for the advice and encouragement but it's not going to happen! I'm pretty good with wood but, coming from a military background, I've spent most of my life destroying stuff and my limits on manufacturing / fabricating are usually dictateded by whether or not it can be stuck together with bodge tape. That said, my compliments on the job that you did - it looks top notch.

12. Wills

Wills Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

The Van X offering is approximately 4 - 6 weeks away from sale..

Simon Carne likes this.
  13. Gaz10

Gaz10 New Member

That hinged cover is a great effort. Hats off man,i may have to try something like that if options are limited. Seen the speaker cover but was really after a flush fitting cover/ compartment.
    I will keep an eye out for this new van x offering to see what that looks like.
    Cheers