Insulating the roof?

flo.flowers

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Evening All, can you give me an honest opinion on the following please;
I silent coated & applied dodo thermo SE & Thermo fleeced (the thinner stuff) the van roof as we’re going tin top.
I offered up the panel in the process of marking out for the lights.
It appeared I couldn’t get the panel to make good contact with the metal work as there was too much layers in the way.
So I guess my question is will the long clips hold the panel in place or do I need to strip some of the layers back?
I silent coated and thermo lined all the roof, not just the raised corrugations.
Any help gratefully received.
flo979D0DDD-D3AD-4255-BEA4-3462A764FDFF.jpeg

It’s the air pockets within the insulation that are important. If you compress the insulation excessively it will reduce it’s effectiveness.

We had exactly the same problem with the thinner fleece a few months ago. It looked just like yours. We were using the concealed clips which made it really difficult to get a good grip. The solution was to carefully peel back a small layer of the fleece, just enough to allow a snug fit with the roof board. There were plenty of air pockets left. The spare layer wasn't wasted, we tucked it into some of the smaller gaps in the body panels. The van stayed cool in the recent hot weather and the sound proofing is a big improvement.

Appreciate the comments DXX & Dave A and understand the implications of the fleece compression.
I also read the earlier post comments with regard to the over use of sound deafening materials and wondered if it was worth reworking that initial layer and removing the silent coat on the lower corrugations and even perhaps the Thermo liner too on those strips. The Thermo fleece would then be able to have more volume to capture air.
A ball ache but worth it?
Real novice stuff ah...

flo

Hi all
Just starting to insulate a T6 and wondering about insulating the cross beams in the roof. Thinking of stuffing with B&Q plastic thermal roll as much as possible
then sealing with aluminium tape. Do people normally do this? Already have sound deadening and 7mm stick on insulation on roof but couldn't get this
in the gap between most of the beams and the roof. Thanks

Don't stuff anything too tightly as it will not insulate as efficiently. Also, sealing up gaps unnecessarily can cause damp issues and consider the heat cycles that a tin top roof goes through in the summer.
As for the cross beams just get enough in there to fill the gap, no more. You may need to thin down the matting quite considerably to achieve this.

Back