Titan bed alternative?

ACM

VIP Member
We've reached the rear seat/bed part of our conversion and had our eye on a Titan bed.

We have a Hilo roof and the Mrs has short legs so wasn't keen on how high the rib beds sit and the Titan is removable as it's a daily and occasionally used as a van.

Is there any alternatives or are we best waiting the 16 week lead time? Not keen on rails either as the floor is done.

Yep it is removable; but you'll need a team of weight lifters I have one sitting in my living room whilst i finish flooring. Don't expect to make taking bed out a regular occurrance.

Rails also mean floor has to be raised up, so downside is loosing a little headroom.

you don't loose the head room. titan have lowered the height of the sliding bed to take into account the extra floor height.
i've also been told by my conversion guy that there's a 12 - 16 week lead time on all beds currently.

you don't loose the head room. titan have lowered the height of the sliding bed to take into account the extra floor height.
i've also been told by my conversion guy that there's a 12 - 16 week lead time on all beds currently.
You have the option of space under the seat for an average potty and lost headroom, or find another potty stash and more headroom. I opted for headroom.

Someone just PM'd me to ask about comfort level and storage space with the Titan Mid Mount bed, so I thought it was worth reposting my response here in case its of interest.

I have a 130cm Titan Mid Mount Bed in m. The kitchen unit housing had to be customised to allow it to fit with standard sink and cooker, but it does - just. Storage capacity is pretty good I think, with space for 2 pull-out boxes plus a slide-out drawer I added recently myself on the LHS. Then more storage space accessible from the back as well. Personally I don't think it's as comfy to sit on as a RIB which is more sculpted and probably softer, but my kids have sat on it for long journeys and don't complain. I would probably add some sort of contoured cushion to put on top of it if I was sitting on it myself, but I never travel in the back. It's good that it does angle back though if I'm sitting on it when camping. I angle it back a bit for when the kids are travelling in it, although I think it has only been crash-tested in the fully upright position. Too hard to sleep on directly so we have a Zonesleep mattress topper which does the trick.

Although the advantage of the RIB bed is supposedly that the side you sleep on is softer than the side you sit on it seems that it's still too hard for a lot of people anyway. I also found the RIB bed far too high, with virtually no headroom for me, and with my feet too far off the ground, my main reasons for going for the Titan. Being able to raise the back section of the bed to 45 degrees in the morning to give you a backrest whilst lazing around reading the paper etc is a great asset too.

Van 01.jpgVan 02.jpgVan 03.jpgVan 04.jpg

Hi
So whave our van back now and the Titan bed is rather nice whilst it is comfortable to lay on, I suspect we’ll get a topper for a good full night sleep (but horses for courses!). I've a good inch or two headroom when sitting with my Hilo roof closed (without bending my neck).
The operation is beautifully easy.
There isn’t enough space for a portable toilet underneath but some nice storage space once a board is popped in.
the service at Titan was second to none, a pleasure to deal with the guys... they listened and then gave us exactly what we wanted.
on another note...
Dan and the guys at Simply Surf Bus did an amazing job with our conversion! Their service was amazing and attention to detail was outstanding (even with my ridiculous ideas) whilst we haven’t been out overnight in her yet, I haven’t come across any niggles and where there is the odd change or adjustment to our design because it physically wouldn’t work... I very happy with the end result and I’m a picky bugger! I’ll post some pics as soon as I have some.
Eden

Back