Tinted driver/passenger windows

I had clear anti-theft film on my last T5 front windows and will prob put it on the T6. Was on the outside though.
Why would you have security film added to the outside? If you NEED to get out of that window you’ll never break it out, but will push in easily. Security film should be applied on the inside and the window should be removed to fit it.

Why would you have security film added to the outside? If you NEED to get out of that window you’ll never break it out, but will push in easily. Security film should be applied on the inside and the window should be removed to fit it.
You're absolutely right, I've gone back and looked at the photos of them fitting it. Don't know why I remembered it as being on the outside, it would be useless and scratched to hell.

I am thinking of getting the drivers and passenger windows tinted and wondered if anyone had already done this and if so, does it make a difference to Summer driving and what level of tint you went for. TIA

Legally you will need at least 70% transmission. The existing glass is not 100%, so there is not much leeway.

I was told by my tinter that to put anything other than clear would take it below legal requirements
This is correct. OEM is already at the legal limit. Although its getting more common yo see cars that are darker than this. Seem some limo tinted recently.

This is correct. OEM is already at the legal limit. Although its getting more common yo see cars that are darker than this. Seem some limo tinted recently.
It is also becoming more common for your local friendly bobby to pull you about tints. Most police cars have a light meter for that purpose on board these days.

It is also becoming more common for your local friendly bobby to pull you about tints. Most police cars have a light meter for that purpose on board these days.
Agreed, however I hardly ever see a local bobby anymore.
Let alone one pulling over people for stuff like window tints, reg plates, incorrect use of fog lights, etc etc. more’s the pity.

I had a pick up a few years ago with only a 15% tint on the OEM front side windows...really dangerous at junctions at night, especially rural, ended up dropping the window at every junction. Then, on the A14 a traffic officer stopped me and tested both windows...both illegal so he gave me a choice, 3 points for each window or remove the tints at the roadside. What a horrible job, peeling off the tints in pieces no bigger than a finger nail. 4hrs later I'm on my way. Never again.
Got limo on all the van windows, except the cab windows obviously and with dim interior lights at night don't need window blinds.

I had a pick up a few years ago with only a 15% tint on the OEM front side windows...really dangerous at junctions at night, especially rural, ended up dropping the window at every junction. Then, on the A14 a traffic officer stopped me and tested both windows...both illegal so he gave me a choice, 3 points for each window or remove the tints at the roadside. What a horrible job, peeling off the tints in pieces no bigger than a finger nail. 4hrs later I'm on my way. Never again.
Got limo on all the van windows, except the cab windows obviously and with dim interior lights at night don't need window blinds.
3 points for EACH window….ouch, that’s a bit harsh! Yep, lose 4 hours to avoid those bad boys

I see the yoof driving round at night with their front windows down to hide their tints.

Our neighbour is an old boy in his 80's. He's got a Freelander that he's had for over 20 years that came from the LR dealer with front tints. They've gone all ripply and look a right mess. How it's got through 20 odd MOTs I'll never know.

Back