Timing Belt Marks

Van Buddy

204 Kombi 4motion 2017MY
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Changing timing belt and looked at timing marks before taking the belt off. If you reference the fitting guidance it seems a tooth out, on the pump, but that’s only by the marks on the pulley., not where the pin fits in.
I was going to put it back as it was.

E612BEB9-D428-48E3-B720-BA23AECCA713.jpeg

25E361BD-066F-485F-8F31-756D66F32CE8.jpeg

Thanks, I get the position of the pin. I don’t understand why VW make a point about the pulley in relation to the pin as in the first picture.

I think the pulley is a conical fit to the pump shaft not sure why yours is out though

I agree. Just bugging me why vw make a point of it. It’s going back as is.

That’s the fuel pump

Doh! Why care about the phasing of the HP pump ?!

The BMW straight 6 diesels don't even have a keyway, they're just held on the taper on the chain sproket.

ETA @Niknak mentioned the conical fit i his post above...

catfood12
Why care about phasing of the HP pump, Doh ! Only because VW make a point of it.
FYI, I haven’t got a straight 6 BMWd engine in my van. Had a few in the past and loved them.
New belt back on, preventive maintenance.

Hello. I new to the T6 as daughter just bought one.
Can anyone help. Where is the timing mark on a CXGB 2017 106000miles crank. All the images online have different cog wheel
Before changing belt I locked the cam and HP pump in place and the crank but could not find a mark.
Afterwards done 6 rotations all good. Rebuilt and started. Engine idled ok.
Only when tried to drive it kept stalling and didn't sound too good. Max speed was about 5mph.
Going back in to see if timing is out but unsure how to check crank.

20230817_133536.jpg

That's odd.

Not done one so don't know.

But would that mark be the point?

Screenshot_20230818_055325_Chrome.jpg

Hello. I new to the T6 as daughter just bought one.
Can anyone help. Where is the timing mark on a CXGB 2017 106000miles crank. All the images online have different cog wheel
Before changing belt I locked the cam and HP pump in place and the crank but could not find a mark.
Afterwards done 6 rotations all good. Rebuilt and started. Engine idled ok.
Only when tried to drive it kept stalling and didn't sound too good. Max speed was about 5mph.
Going back in to see if timing is out but unsure how to check crank.

View attachment 210037
The mark is on the crankshaft aux belt pulley and on the lower timing belt cover.

EDIT:
20230818_124002.jpg

The mark is on the crankshaft aux belt pulley and on the lower timing belt cover.
Thank you Robert. I had pulled covers off and not even considered checking them.
I have also realised after a late night studying that I have the wrong type locking tool for cam as its for one with mark on cam sprocket. Correct one with the 3 pins on its way.

While waiting on the timing clamp kit to arrive and a sleepless night I have checked out timing manually using marks on casing and pulley wheel. The cam and crank are spot on but the fuel pump looks out.
Redoing belt when kit arrives.
Only thing is there still a need for me to loosen cam pulley or am I just adding work.
Thanks

Crank.jpg

Cam.jpg

Fuel.jpg

Tensioner.jpg

Thanks, I get the position of the pin. I don’t understand why VW make a point about the pulley in relation to the pin as in the first picture.
Earlier versions of the HP pump were not timed to the crank, but later and current ones are.
1 tooth out might not run noticeably different to spot on, and there is nothing in the pump to flag up a no correlation fault code as long as the cam and crank are timed.

Back