Adding a Tie Down Point

Brennanpj

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I want to add a small tie point to the side panel of my LWB Kombi.

So I can tie my MTB to the side of the van .

My panels are carpeted and realise that screwing to the panel alone would not be man enough.

So I should screw through the panel into metal work .

Anyone able to advise on position of metal work and depth of screw required?

I don’t want to remove panel to have a look as not sure I will get it back on neatly.

I grabbed this photo from the forum .
I could do with a measurement to the centre vertical rail between the two insulated panels .
In a LWB . This looks centre of wheel arch but might be swb photo .

79481F35-857C-4604-8729-DC7D338279EF.jpeg

I grabbed this photo from the forum .
I could do with a measurement to the centre vertical rail between the two insulated panels .
In a LWB . This looks centre of wheel arch but might be swb photo .

View attachment 48569

I'm 99% sure that is a SWB van as the rear edge of the door looks pretty much at the front edge of the wheel arch.

I'm 99% sure that is a SWB van as the rear edge of the door looks pretty much at the front edge of the wheel arch.

I agree , does anyone have a LWB with exposed interior panels / metal frame ?

I agree , does anyone have a LWB with exposed interior panels / metal frame ?
it will be almost identical but iwith 400mm ish at the front of the wheel arch. Where approximately woudl you like to have the D RING?

A10E9597-CD2C-4916-9782-CF57183C9E42.jpeg I’d like to fix through to this rail , seems like a safe bet with the correct length screw ? approximately in red circle !

Thanks

View attachment 48622 I’d like to fix through to this rail , seems like a safe bet with the correct length screw ? approximately in red circle !

Thanks
Ok, be careful as there is only approx 10mm to the external panel. I'd say its risky if you are doing this blind! A point to note is the position of your ply panelling. Depending on how it is fitted there may be a gap between the ply and this metal frame, (this would be true in a standard KOMBI), if there is you will just bend the panel until it hits the frame. If it is recessed and touching this vertical frame, be careful not to screw into external panel.:mad::mad:

If you can remove the panel you will have a better idea. If not, I would personally attach to the horizontal fame below your red circle (the one with holes in).

Good luck,

Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, your right I could really make a mess if I hit the external . I could lower it to the horizontal rail you suggested. Do you know if VW run cables in the void behind ?

Thanks

Thanks, your right I could really make a mess if I hit the external . I could lower it to the horizontal rail you suggested. Do you know if VW run cables in the void behind ?

Thanks
Shouldn’t do, the cables will be lower. Just make sure you drill 'just' into the metal so if there are cables behind you dont drill them. The metal is pretty thin so I think even a screw will eventually work loose. I would use a riv nut personally and put a bolt into it. Or remove panel and insert a packer behind it.

Cheers

Back